What's new

Requiring password for updates

Tricon7

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my IOS on my iPhone 4, and now it doesn't ask for a password in order to update my apps or to add new ones. I need this fuction, since I have small children who will add a million games if I don't. But I don't see where I make that change, and I've been searching in the Settings options.

Any suggetions?

Cancel that.

Per PC World magazine:

Apple is making it easier to get apps from the App Store with iOS 6 by removing the need to enter your password for every app you download to your device, according to numerous online reports. If all you’re doing is downloading an app update, a free app, or an app you previously deleted, Apple reportedly will not ask for your password in its next update to its' mobile OS for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch. Instead, you will only have to enter your password for paid apps.

One thing the article got wrong: You still have to enter your password in order to download "free" apps. So, it's the same as with purchased apps you've never bought before.

But, with previously purchased and installed apps (including the one that were free at the time) and for updates - no, you don't need your password on iOS 6.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

The App Store still asks for my password on my iPhone 4S running iOS 6 .0.1. when updating installed purchased and free apps or downloading free apps. However, it does not ask for my password in those instances on my iPad 3rd gen running iOS 6.0.1. Strange, indeed.

Sent from my iPhone 4S or iPad 3rd gen, whichever I happened to have in my hands at the time, using iPF.net

Cult of Mac posted this article on how to set up restrictions to make it ask for you password for everything.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk