What's new

Removing apps

mcphisto

Reaction score
I know to remove apps you used to press the app till the x appeared but this appears to no longer totally remove the app. After pressing the x and the app disappearing, if you go into the update app section, there is now a sub section called 'purchases'. In there is a list of every app installed on the phone. It appears that it no longer removes them. Anyone know his to delete them totally or remove the app list from here? If this is answered anywhere else, I apologize but would you kindly point me in the right direction please. Cheers

there is no way to remove the apps from there, its so if you delete it and want the app later or have problems you can just tap there and download any of the apps. there is no way to remove it afaik

Welcome to the world of DRM and digitial purchases.

There isn't a single company selling electronic downloads that allows you to permanently remove an item that you have purchased from your account. This policy was implemented to avoid the argument "I bought this but you might take it away later".

Microsoft and Sony went even one step further and don't even allow the rights holder to remove their content completely. They can only say "Please don't sell this anymore". This allows Xbox and Playstation users to recover any game they bought at any time even if the company that made the game goes out of business.

Google and Apple have taken a slightly different tact. They allow you to download anything that is still on their servers BUT a rights holder can request the app be pulled from the market and not be recoverable. This has caused issues where a user has lost a phone, gotten a new one and then recovered their account. They find out all but one app downloaded and when they go to find it on the market it is no longer there. I suspect this business model will come back to haunt both Google and Apple.

But the worst offender of DRM and digital downloads is Gameloft on Android phones. They lock your purchase to the device you bought it on. Which means if you switch phones, you no longer can play that game you purchased. Interestingly though this policy isn't done with iOS devices. I am waiting for the first Android lawsuit against Gameloft.

Last edited:
Google and Apple have taken a slightly different tact. They allow you to download anything that is still on their servers BUT a rights holder can request the app be pulled from the market and not be recoverable. This has caused issues where a user has lost a phone, gotten a new one and then recovered their account. They find out all but one app downloaded and when they go to find it on the market it is no longer there. I suspect this business model will come back to haunt both Google and Apple.

If your app is backed up on iTunes then you can still get it on your new phone. I just got the 3GS replaced last week due to a battery issue and still have the VLC player installed...

Thanks for the replies.

This is rubbish!!! I deleted the app for a reason! I don't want it. All the apps I refer to are free apps or game 'lite' apps so there is no way I want to keep the list!!!!

Also what happens if I want to sell the phone? The next owner is going to have this list off apps I had???

mcphisto said:
Thanks for the replies.

This is rubbish!!! I deleted the app for a reason! I don't want it. All the apps I refer to are free apps or game 'lite' apps so there is no way I want to keep the list!!!!

Also what happens if I want to sell the phone? The next owner is going to have this list off apps I had???

No the list is due to being signed into your account!! Go into the settings and sign in with another iTunes account and you will see another list!

Thanks for the replies.

I agree. There should be some way of removing apps from that list. I share my iTunes account with the wife, she plays a few games where if you download certain free apps then you get free stuff for your game, these apps are downloaded then deleted as soon as she has her free stuff, so my list is quite large.

Fortunately, these apps aren't stored on your device or computer, just linked to your iTunes account. If you don't click on the list then you don't need to worry about it. Perhaps apple will allow some way of editing your list once the iCloud is properly up and running...

If u go into iTunes from ur PC, click on apps while ur phone is plugged in. U can delete apps in there. Click remove completely. Clear the revile bin. Then sync ur iPhone. Those apps won't come back.

Thanks forth assistance.... But that still doesn't clear them off the previously purchased list

Thanks forth assistance.... But that still doesn't clear them off the previously purchased list

You can't remove apps from that purchased list. At least for the time been, it's not possible.