What's new

Remove apps?

JennieR

Reaction score
Can you permanently remove apps from your devices? I have a bunch of apps and there are several I would
like to get rid of and not interested in getting back.

touch and hold the app until start to wiggle, then hit the X and it will ask if you want to delete.

If you have sync with itunes then make sure you delete them from itunes as well.

Can you permanently remove apps from your devices? I have a bunch of apps and there are several I would
like to get rid of and not interested in getting back.

I think to permanently remove the app you have to hook it up to iTunes and delete from there. You can in the mean time delete from the phone as a temp measure.

iHolophyte

Well that's what I thought too but how do you delete them from iTunes?

Find the app under the apps folder, right click and press delete.

I think to permanently remove the app you have to hook it up to iTunes and delete from there. You can in the mean time delete from the phone as a temp measure.

iHolophyte

I've deleted quite a few apps from my iPhone itself without having to resort to using iTunes for anything. Does your comment mean that my deleted apps (from the iPhone) are not really deleted after all, memory-wise? What does iTunes do that the wiggle-delete thing on the device doesn't?

Well we have to remember that some people sync there apps with itunes all the time instead of manually doing it (as I do)

If you use the sync automatic then some people delete the app in itunes then resync to delete.

Find the app under the apps folder, right click and press delete.

Thank you SO much. That's exactly what I needed to know!!! I've got so many apps I can't get anymore new ones b/c I don't have the space for them anymore.

I've deleted quite a few apps from my iPhone itself without having to resort to using iTunes for anything. Does your comment mean that my deleted apps (from the iPhone) are not really deleted after all, memory-wise? What does iTunes do that the wiggle-delete thing on the device doesn't?

I find if I delete them from my phone there still in iTunes app section although they don't resync. You can see this when you go to the app store and you've previously deleted an app from your phone it'll come up with "install" rather than "free" or "installed" this tells you it's still on your iTunes account. So what I do is find it in my iTunes app section right click it and delete. This now completely removed it and will then go back to "free" in the app store. I think it's designed for apps you buy and delete on your phone by mistake.
Here's a screen shot I have done showing an app I installed then deleted. It's a free darts app and has install next to it.

021a0d7a-ca20-316c.jpg

iHolophyte

Thanks for the info, iHolo...... That clears it up a little!

I went into my computer tonight and removed about half of my apps. I did have 147ish. It took me a few minutes b/c I clicked on the apps at the top center when I should have clicked on apps in the column on the left. But I got it done!!! Thank you all so much for your help and I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't know.

I went into my computer tonight and removed about half of my apps. I did have 147ish. It took me a few minutes b/c I clicked on the apps at the top center when I should have clicked on apps in the column on the left. But I got it done!!! Thank you all so much for your help and I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't know.

You can also jennie click the apps tab in iTunes then there is a drop down list. Click this and select apps by name. It now puts them in alphabetical order. Now resync and it sets them this way in your phone. It's for people with OCD. (Laughs out loud)

iHolophyte