What's new

Reminders VS Calendar

ectopudding

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone's opinions on what should/belongs on/in a Calendar, and what belongs in the reminders app. Should they both contain both the same thing? Should they differ? Or is reminders useless, in your opinion. Lemme know what you think about which.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.462219,-111.990656
Sent from my  iPhone 4 via Tapatalk

I use both calendar and reminders.

In calendars I put meetings and appointments stuff like that.

In reminders I use it to remind me to collect things, make phone calls, send emails also for shopping lists lol.

enots27 said:

In reminders I use it to remind me to collect things, make phone calls, send emails also for shopping lists lol.

Couldn't u also out a reminder for meeting and appointments? Cuz I have some on going reminders for things I have to do weekly.

I don't know. I'm just confused as to why they pretty much serve the same concept. Like I can put meetings and appointments in my calendar, but I can also out meetings and appointments in my reminders, ya know?

::confused:: LOL

The reminders app allows you to use location based reminders. This can be useful. For time based reminders the calendar and reminders app serve pretty much the same purpose. Usually though I only use the calendar if I need to be shown a busy for a period of time.

I have thought of the same thing. Glad you posted this...
Well, mostly for appointments and upcoming events, I add them to the calendar. And the simple things such as "get groceries" or "call mom," something along those lines, usually ends up in reminders.
Both seem to have the same effect though. Just preference I guess.

However, I use Gmail and its synced with my calendar, so I can look at it on the computer or add/remove events from my computer also, making it quicker and more efficent sometimes.

I like the topic.

microsnook said:
I have thought of the same thing. Glad you posted this...
Well, mostly for appointments and upcoming events, I add them to the calendar. And the simple things such as "get groceries" or "call mom," something along those lines, usually ends up in reminders.
Both seem to have the same effect though. Just preference I guess.

However, I use Gmail and its synced with my calendar, so I can look at it on the computer or add/remove events from my computer also, making it quicker and more efficent sometimes.

I like the topic.

Very good point. So U would add things to reminders that are just temporary, quick things. Not on going things, right?

Very good point. So U would add things to reminders that are just temporary, quick things. Not on going things, right?
Yes, I think you nailed it.
Lets say I have something I need to do in an hour, or tomorrow, or over the weekend, a few days away, then it goes in reminder where it can be deleted and forgotten.
Upcoming appointments, birthdays, etc, will be in the calendar.
I try to make use of the features of both apps...rather than have the reminders app be pointless for me.

I guess it is all up to the user though. Either way it works really...

microsnook said:
Yes, I think you nailed it.
Lets say I have something I need to do in an hour, or tomorrow, or over the weekend, a few days away, then it goes in reminder where it can be deleted and forgotten.
Upcoming appointments, birthdays, etc, will be in the calendar.
I try to make use of the features of both apps...rather than have the reminders app be pointless for me.

I guess it is all up to the user though. Either way it works really...

Ok, Thats genius! was trying to use both almost for the same thing. But I needed a few recommendations to see how others were utilizing both, and I think u squashed my curiosity! Thanks! :-D

Youre welcome, glad I could help!
Sometimes its frustrating staying organized and deciding what to use!

enots27 said:

This is exactly how I use the apps too. I absolutely love the reminders app and the calendars, and it was after upgrading to ios5 on my iPad and becoming totally hooked to using both apps, I decided I couldn't live without an iPhone so I can have this info with me wherever I go. I love how the info instantly appears on both devices. I also love how the reminders are so quick to write. The calendar entries taken just a little bit longer to do.

As an example, I have a menu calendar in Calendar in to which I put what I'm planning for our evening meal each day. In to Reminders for that day, I'll put the 'take chicken out of freezer' or 'buy more veg' type messages.

The reminders app allows you to use location based reminders. This can be useful. ... ... ...

I was using location based reminders for a while but stopped as I think (asked but no one else confirmed it so I may well be wrong) that they are a real battery drainer as they keep the GPS running full blast 100% of the time!

Definitely the GPS arrow is ALWAYS displayed in the top right corner of the screen if there are any location based reminders!

I do wish someone else would test this theory out and see if their observations on battery drain when running and not running location based reminders are similar to what I see.

Location based reminders do use a lot mor battery as you right fully stated it keeps the gps running. I wouldn't use the location based reminder for something a week in advance. I would usually only use it a few hours to 1 day. I also use the timed reminders.

This is how I use both.

The main difference in the two apps is that with reminders you can see a stacked up list, even if your reminder is past due.

In calendar you have to navigate to the day you put it on too see it. That means if it's past due, you have to look at that past day to be reminded... Not very likely.

Frustrating to me is syncing the reminders to my Mac. I know iCloud does this to iCal... But I don't use iCal, I use google calendar.

I wish Mac had a reminder app or dashboard widget that would sync with iPhone! :(

bc2planker said:
The main difference in the two apps is that with reminders you can see a stacked up list, even if your reminder is past due.

In calendar you have to navigate to the day you put it on too see it. That means if it's past due, you have to look at that past day to be reminded... Not very likely.

Frustrating to me is syncing the reminders to my Mac. I know iCloud does this to iCal... But I don't use iCal, I use google calendar.

I wish Mac had a reminder app or dashboard widget that would sync with iPhone! :(

Very good point, I noticed that they stack up, myself. I guess it's just user preference I suppose when it comes to what exactly they want to put in Reminders VS Calendar.