What's new

Refugee from HP/Palm

a cheesehead

Reaction score
OK, I've been a semi-dedicated Palm user. Started with a Tungsten PDA, then a Treo 680, then a Pre+, then a Pre2, then even a Pre3. Although I believe WebOS to be probably the finest OS for a phone conceived (thus far), and find it (1) intuitively easy to use, (2) that it multi-tasks like a flash ... I got tired of the total vanishment of support. Owning an orphan ain't no fun at all. I also prefer the form factor of the phones, for it is properly small, and just got better & better as it evolved.

So now I have me an iPhone 4S (a mere 3 mm longer than the Pre3 and thinner), the 64GB flavor - which means I can put my iPod on the market as well ans a pocketful of Palm/HP phones. First, though, I have to either cut me a smaller SIM or get a new card from AT&T.

Then I have to figure out how to get several decades of calendar entries into the phone and the iCloud (I use Google almost exclusively, but am capable of copying them into Outlook if need be) ... so any Wise Thoughts will be entirely welcome. As well as warnings (like Do Not Do This).

This device may be my last for a while, for what I do not need is a phone that tries to double as a TV set. the iPhone 4S is plenty big enough for me, TYVM.

OK, I've been a semi-dedicated Palm user. Started with a Tungsten PDA, then a Treo 680, then a Pre+, then a Pre2, then even a Pre3. Although I believe WebOS to be probably the finest OS for a phone conceived (thus far), and find it (1) intuitively easy to use, (2) that it multi-tasks like a flash ... I got tired of the total vanishment of support. Owning an orphan ain't no fun at all. I also prefer the form factor of the phones, for it is properly small, and just got better & better as it evolved.

So now I have me an iPhone 4S (a mere 3 mm longer than the Pre3 and thinner), the 64GB flavor - which means I can put my iPod on the market as well ans a pocketful of Palm/HP phones. First, though, I have to either cut me a smaller SIM or get a new card from AT&T.

Then I have to figure out how to get several decades of calendar entries into the phone and the iCloud (I use Google almost exclusively, but am capable of copying them into Outlook if need be) ... so any Wise Thoughts will be entirely welcome. As well as warnings (like Do Not Do This).

This device may be my last for a while, for what I do not need is a phone that tries to double as a TV set. the iPhone 4S is plenty big enough for me, TYVM.
Hi, welcome to the forum! Here are a few helpful links. cv| iPhone tips | iPhone Tips & Tricks | What is jailbreaking? | | iPhone Unlocking

Guide for Beginners |iPhoneForums.net Mobile App

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure

iPhone tips

iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

remember…."search" is your friend…..poisonivy…..iPhone and iPad forums moderator.

Hi Cheesehead--Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried created your gmail account through the email (native) app on your phone? When you do that, then go into settings to turn on your calendar.

Go to settings / Mail, contacts, calendars / Gmail / calendars-turn on. That way your calendar entries will be synced to your Calendar app.

Go to your Calendar app and then click the "Calendars" button on the left side of the screen. A page will open to add Gmail as one of the calendars to sync.

Hope that helps!

Hi Cheesehead--Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried created your gmail account through the email (native) app on your phone? When you do that, then go into settings to turn on your calendar.

Go to settings / Mail, contacts, calendars / Gmail / calendars-turn on. That way your calendar entries will be synced to your Calendar app.

Go to your Calendar app and then click the "Calendars" button on the left side of the screen. A page will open to add Gmail as one of the calendars to sync.

Hope that helps!

Onliest problem is this: I do not get the entire google calendar (going back into the 70s). I have a zipped iCal file, taken from the google calendar, which I suspect might have it all. Will check out the tips to see how that might be accomplished. Thanks!

Welcome!!!

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

Onliest problem is this: I do not get the entire google calendar (going back into the 70s). I have a zipped iCal file, taken from the google calendar, which I suspect might have it all. Will check out the tips to see how that might be accomplished. Thanks!

Still baffled. Discovered that "publishing" my Outlook calendar allows only the past 30 days ... which is hardly useful at all. Adding the google calendar as a CalDAV account only brought in part of it.

I have a complete calkendar exported to an outlook csv file, which stands ready to be imported to the iPhone ... should there be someone out there who knows how this can be done.

Going back from the 1970's...that's a long time back. Hopefully some of the other members will know with your question.

Going back from the 1970's...that's a long time back. Hopefully some of the other members will know with your question.

Wellll ... not loadsa stuff from back in the Dim & Distant, just events I'd want to preserve. Mostly ocean racing stuff, Olympic program from back then. Finally decided to let it sit in the google calendar, where I can find what I need to.

Wellll ... not loadsa stuff from back in the Dim & Distant, just events I'd want to preserve. Mostly ocean racing stuff, Olympic program from back then. Finally decided to let it sit in the google calendar, where I can find what I need to.

A friend clued me in: CalenGoo, which cost me all of something like $6.00. It goes out and grabs what you tell it from your Google calendar, and then has a ton of options, none of which have been explored yet. It came highly recommended and, yes, it took a while to synchronize.