What's new

Red Disc

savag

Reaction score
For the past day or two my iPhone 11 has shown a red disc with '1' in the middle, at the top right-hand corner of the Settings icon on the Home screen.
If I click on Settings and scroll I find 'Software Updates Available' also with the red disc. Click on that and I come to 'Automatic Updates on' (which it always is) and 'IOS 15.4.1 Apple Inc. Downloaded'.
It seems to me that it has downloaded as previous ones have done, so why the warning or informing red disc? I clicked on 'learn more' just for fun but the disc hasn't gone?
Thanks.

The notification won’t go away until the update has been installed. There should be a button called Update Now to click and start the installation.

Last edited:
The update has to be installed after downloading. If your device is up to date, and the latest software is installed, your screen will look like this:
12EFEB4F-0289-4B45-B5DA-2FBE37A0A594.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks.
'Automatic Updates' is always on, but I haven't got the 'General' on your screen.
There must be something different about this update because I can't remember having to separately download previous ones. But perhaps I did.
I cannot see any help, prompting or advice from Apple about installing.
Wi-fi and Bluetooth are both always on, the battery is fully charged.
Can't see anything so helpful as 'Update Now'.

Apologies!
I also have 'Install iOS Updates'. I have had the phone charging and connected to Wi-Fi as recommended.
Both this and 'Download iOS Updates' are permanently slid to green. but still the red dot.

When you go to Settings - General - Software Update, do you see a button with “Install” or “Install Now” somewhere?
If so, tap it to install the update.

No, only what I have described earlier.

Can you post a screenshot, so that we can see what you‘re describing?

As I said, 'Install iOS Updates' is on green always.
There is advice to leave charging overnight with Wi-Fi on.
Is this a long slow job to install? I use the phone at night - are there certain hours when this business is done?
Might it take 5 minutes or 5 hours?
Questions, questions.
Thanks.

I don't suppose it is as simple as this to attach screenshots...

Attachments

• Update 16.4.22 (1) (Large).png
    Update 16.4.22 (1) (Large).png
    53.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Update 16.4.22 (2) (Large).png
    Update 16.4.22 (2) (Large).png
    47.3 KB · Views: 61
iOS 15.4.1 is a small update. Installing it will just take a few minutes.

Your first screenshot (with “iOS 15.4.1” visible) shows that the update hasn’t been installed or downloaded yet. You’ll have to scroll down a bit to reveal the button. It’s possible that the update hasn’t been uploaded yet.

Your avatar suggests a fair maiden who is innocent of the terrors of life with mobile phone ownership, but that hides a witch's powers.
For the thousanths time I just now went to the second screen and the picture scrolled itself to show 'Install' then 'Software Update Complete' after about three minutes.
No red spot, so you are also a dermatologist.
Magic!
Thank you.