What's new

Recommendations How to Take 4S Out of Long Term Storage?

KenithO

Reaction score
As mentioned in previous post, I recently inherited a 4S that has not been used for a while.

Want to be extra careful so not to do any damage so only charged to ~50% and has been power off since.

Appreciate any suggestions by others how to take old iPhones out of long term storage. Both what to do and what Not to do.

Thanks

Ken

Other than the battery I don't think there are any concerns and I don't know about long term low to no voltage issues with LiOH batteries, keep us updated.

Other than the battery I don't think there are any concerns and I don't know about long term low to no voltage issues with LiOH batteries, keep us updated.
Long term storage of a lithium battery when it is uncharged could permanently render it incapable of holding a charge. If it does hold a charge it will likely be much less than normal. Replacement batteries are fairly inexpensive and easy to install if you have the proper tools. There are many iPhone repair videos by iFixit and others that show how to replace the battery. Watching several would be a good idea before attempting the battery replacement.

Last edited:
As mentioned in previous post, I recently inherited a 4S that has not been used for a while.

Am concerned about the battery so have been searching for info on normal 4S battery self discharge.

Did 4S forum search using keywords 4s battery discharge and got 11 results none of what I wanted so Googled using keywords "iPhone 4S" battery self discharge got ~ 40.4K results.

Of the top ones checked "What is the battery life of the iPhone 4S in "real-world" tests? Is the battery designed to be replaced?" iPhone 4S Battery Life (Real-World Tests): EveryiPhone.com seems the most relevant concerning Standby Time which is listed as 200 hrs..

Also checked the links and found "It’s worth noting that Apple has dropped the promised standby time from 300 hours on the iPhone 4 down to 200 hours on the iPhone 4S" Reviews: Apple iPhone 4S (16GB/32GB/64GB)

While there is more work use at Apple iPhone 4S: Thoroughly Reviewed did not find any Standby Time tests.

Has anyone been running Standby Time tests for their 4S?

Was also looking for real discharge curves for the 4S battery but to date have found none.

Thanks

Ken

scifan57,

"Long term storage of a lithium battery when it is uncharged could permanently render it incapable of holding a charge." Agree which is why I am interested in the battery self discharge time.

Would be interested if anyone has found real discharge curves for the 4S battery.

Did find 2 reviews but neither tested Apple's results for battery self discharge (200 hrs). Reviews: Apple iPhone 4S (16GB/32GB/64GB)
Apple iPhone 4S: Thoroughly Reviewed

Hope someone may have actually done some actual battery self discharge tests.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
scifan57,

"Long term storage of a lithium battery when it is uncharged could permanently render it incapable of holding a charge." Agree which is why I am interested in the battery self discharge time.

Decided to start a new post "4S Battery Self Discharge?" 4S Battery Self Discharge? and would be interested if anyone has found real discharge curves for the 4S battery.

Did find 2 reviews but neither tested Apple's results for battery self discharge (200 hrs). Reviews: Apple iPhone 4S (16GB/32GB/64GB)

Ken

As I'm still using my old 4S for music and a few odd and ends I am interested in what comes out of this.

scifan57,

Decided to start a new post "4S Battery Self Discharge?" 4S Battery Self Discharge? and would be interested if anyone has found real discharge curves for the 4S battery.

Ken
Every users results would be different depending on exactly how they had been using the iPhone and on the health of a battery that could be up to 7 years old.

zstairlessone,

"As I'm still using my old 4S for music and a few odd and ends I am interested in what comes out of this" You may be interested in this. Experience Using Coconut Battery? Experience Using Coconut Battery? Would be nice to compare battery info with others!

Hi,

Inherited a iPhone 4S that had been in storage (more info Recommendations How to Take 4S Out of Long Term Storage? )

Noticed the 4S would keep boot looping and at first thought it may be the battery because this was mentioned when did a search "Stuck in boot loop" SOLVED: Stuck in boot loop - iPhone 5s

Then installed 3uTools and checked the 4S device info and battery was good and it was jailbroken.

Tried to use 3uTools to restore with its iOS 6.1.2 but got message "Error: Unable to Request SHSH."

Searched and found tutorial "How to Fix Error Unable to Request SHSH on 3uTools or iTunes Error 3503?"
How to Fix Error Unable to Request SHSH on 3uTools or iTunes Error 3503?

My Windows PC does Not have Internet Access.

How do I get the needed SHSH? Do have access to the Internet but need to use portable apps (can Not install any apps).

Appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks

Ken
4S SHSH Error.png

When it’s jailbroken, you need iTunes to restore it. Whichever tool you’ve downloaded, doesn’t help. There’s also no need to download or save SHSH blobs. You will need an internet connection, though, this won’t work without internet.

When you connect your iPhone to iTunes, restore it. If there’s a more recent software, it will be updated automatically.
If restoring doesn’t work, use DFU mode to restore it:
How To Put An iPhone In DFU Mode, The Apple Way

Since your problem is still related to taking out the iPhone of long term storage, I’ve moved it to the original thread. I’d recommend keeping posts related to “making it useable again” to one thread only. Opening too many threads is confusing, and won’t get better results.