What's new

Questions about stolen iphone and 'find my iphone' app

Neubeehunhun

Reaction score
My iphone 4s was rubbed a few days ago and I immediately went to a friend and used his iphone to log into 'find my iphone', it showed my iphone but couldn't locate it, I then turned on the "send email when found" and "remote lock" options. And I haven't received any email since then.

My question is, does 'find my iphone' work without internet access/sim card? The rubber probably turned it off and throw away my sim card...And are there ways to cancel the connection between the iphone and my apple ID? Something like a fresh install?

Thanks.

My iphone 4s was rubbed a few days ago and I immediately went to a friend and used his iphone to log into 'find my iphone', it showed my iphone but couldn't locate it, I then turned on the "send email when found" and "remote lock" options. And I haven't received any email since then.

My question is, does 'find my iphone' work without internet access/sim card? The rubber probably turned it off and throw away my sim card...And are there ways to cancel the connection between the iphone and my apple ID? Something like a fresh install?

Thanks.

Unfurtunately the app doesn't work without internet connection. So if you reported lost already and it hs been disconnected, the app wont pull it up. Also if the person turn it off it wont show up neither.

What would happen if the person restored it to factory setting or registered 'find my iphone' with another apple ID, would it erase its connection with my apple ID?

And what would reporting lost do? I haven't done anything about it except calling the cops. Any ways to disable it so they can't use it?

What would happen if the person restored it to factory setting or registered 'find my iphone' with another apple ID, would it erase its connection with my apple ID?

And what would reporting lost do? I haven't done anything about it except calling the cops. Any ways to disable it so they can't use it?
Yes if the person factory resort it and log in Find My iPhone with another Apple ID then there is no way you would be able to locate your iPhone using find my iPhone. Was you iPhone factory locked? if yes call your carrier and report to them that you have lost your iPhone, they can remotely lock the iPhone and so the one who steal it will not be able to use it anymore, at least not be able to use it in your country.
But i strongly think that Apple need to come up with another algorithm concerning Find my iPhone, they have to make that app track the serial number of the iPhone instead of tracking the Apple user ID used to enable Find my iPhone. Good luck to you.

I don't think Apple will allow tracking phones by serial number as you could sell the phone and continue to track it.

Best you report it stolen asap, as it stands your liable to pay for any calls made up until when you report it.

Te carrier can then inform Apple who can then bar the phone from network use making it effectively just a large iPod

It was factory unlocked and I used Tmobile, disabled the sim the same day. I guess I will just report to apple and see if they can block the phone.

Thank you guys for replies.

What Apple should do is have "Find my iPhone" settings under a restrictive or pass code lock.

What Apple should do is have "Find my iPhone" settings under a restrictive or pass code lock.

Yeah, there are surely 100 of ways to lock down the phone and prevent it to even be able to factory restore without entering the screen lock code.
Simple, Apple just have to allow iPhone users to link their lock screen code with their iTunes account, like adding I field in iTunes account which say enter "Enter your iPhone lock screen code to link it to this Apple ID"
My Apple ID is [email protected]
Pass word is 1234567890
iPhone lock screen code is 1234
once some one steal the iPhone and enter a wrong lock screen code 10 times, another screen comes up asking for entering the Apple ID user name and password. If wrong Apple ID and password are incorrect 20 times then the system know that the iPhone is not with its owner, so the system lock down completely the iPhone until it's take to Apple store for unlocking. Apple will the unlock the iPhone BUT before returning it back to the one who brought the iphone it in, he or she will have to prove to Apple that the iphone belongs to him/her. He/she might not have a receipt of the phone (gifted by a parent etc...) but he/she should be able to answer few questions if the iphone really belongs to him/her. Questions like:
-when was the iphone purchased or gifted to him/her.
-naming 5 contacts name present in the iPhone contact book
-naming 3 apps present in the iPhone except the stock apps.
-name one mail address which is setup and be in use in the iPhone.
-Finally Apple will ask for that person ID card to know his/her full name (eg. Mr ABCD Xyz) and suggest to him/her that Apple will call back the most recent 3 phone calls and ask them if they know Me ABCD Xyz.
So basically if the phone is stolen it shouldn't even be able to become an iPod. It should be a complete useless iDevice for the one who steal it unless deciding to sell parts of the iPhone.
This is just one way of completely locking down iPhone in case it got lost or steal by someone.
I strongly believe that there are better than this, I just don't understand why Apple refuse to go down that road.

Some very good suggestions from bab on this one. Let's hope apple are reading these and maybe implement one or two.

iHolophyte

bab2010 said:
Yeah, there are surely 100 of ways to lock down the phone and prevent it to even be able to factory restore without entering the screen lock code.
Simple, Apple just have to allow iPhone users to link their lock screen code with their iTunes account, like adding I field in iTunes account which say enter "Enter your iPhone lock screen code to link it to this Apple ID"
My Apple ID is [email protected]
Pass word is 1234567890
iPhone lock screen code is 1234
once some one steal the iPhone and enter a wrong lock screen code 10 times, another screen comes up asking for entering the Apple ID user name and password. If wrong Apple ID and password are incorrect 20 times then the system know that the iPhone is not with its owner, so the system lock down completely the iPhone until it's take to Apple store for unlocking. Apple will the unlock the iPhone BUT before returning it back to the one who brought the iphone it in, he or she will have to prove to Apple that the iphone belongs to him/her. He/she might not have a receipt of the phone (gifted by a parent etc...) but he/she should be able to answer few questions if the iphone really belongs to him/her. Questions like:
-when was the iphone purchased or gifted to him/her.
-naming 5 contacts name present in the iPhone contact book
-naming 3 apps present in the iPhone except the stock apps.
-name one mail address which is setup and be in use in the iPhone.
-Finally Apple will ask for that person ID card to know his/her full name (eg. Mr ABCD Xyz) and suggest to him/her that Apple will call back the most recent 3 phone calls and ask them if they know Me ABCD Xyz.
So basically if the phone is stolen it shouldn't even be able to become an iPod. It should be a complete useless iDevice for the one who steal it unless deciding to sell parts of the iPhone.
This is just one way of completely locking down iPhone in case it got lost or steal by someone.
I strongly believe that there are better than this, I just don't understand why Apple refuse to go down that road.

Gr8 suggestion!!!