What's new

Question on Transfering Upgrade for iPhone 4

nickyf982

Reaction score
Hello, I am a Verizon customer and I'm currently on a family share plan. My line isn't eligible for an upgrade, but my uncle's is and he said I could use his upgrade for it. Right now, Verizon reps have said that you won't have the option to transfer an upgrade to another line and order the iPhone like you usually can. For whatever reason, they decided that won't be available until a later time. I was told that you would have to order the iPhone on the eligible line and then manually change the MEID (Mobile Equipment Identifier) over to the MDN (Mobile Directory Number) on which device you want.

Does anyone know how this process works? My uncle lives in another state, so I am hoping I won't need his current phone or his help doing this at all. I am hoping this method won't affect his current phone at all.

Last edited:
wtf? if that holds true I will not be able to get it. None of the makes sense to me, unless this is an apple thing.

This has never been a problem you sure you trust the rep?
(and also doing the whole transferring thing shouldn't be hard from what I remember)

wtf? if that holds true I will not be able to get it. None of the makes sense to me, unless this is an apple thing.

This has never been a problem you sure you trust the rep?
(and also doing the whole transferring thing shouldn't be hard from what I remember)

Yes, many Verizon reps have said the same thing. I guess it's not a huge problem if the other process is easy, but I just need to know that I can do this all on my own without my uncle and his phone since I'm using his upgrade.

The rep did say you will eventually be able to transfer upgrade on the site and buy the iPhone, but won't be until a "later date" which isn't very specific. Here is the direct quote, and also a phone rep said the same thing.

"No. At launch, the iconic portal, which is processing all of the orders, will not support buddy upgrades. This functionality will come at a later date, and it will be communicated when it becomes available. At launch, however, customers will have to process the upgrade on the eligible line on the account and manually change the MEID (Mobile Equipment Identifier) over to the MDN (Mobile Directory Number) on which they want the device. Detailed step-by-step instructions, available in both POD (Print On-Demand) and EOD (Email On-Demand) will be available closer to launch."

Ok(I'm in the same boat with you fyi)

It sounds like I'll have to upgrade my moms phone and then transfer it to my line and then she keeps her phone she has now.
Which shouldn't be hard at all since just a month ago I transfered her old phone to the new phone she has now(it was my env2 she wanted)

So now my concern is if I can't order it on pre-order day or not, I really don't want to have to bring my mom into this but the way it sounds I'll have to.

Ok(I'm in the same boat with you fyi)

It sounds like I'll have to upgrade my moms phone and then transfer it to my line and then she keeps her phone she has now.
Which shouldn't be hard at all since just a month ago I transfered her old phone to the new phone she has now(it was my env2 she wanted)

So now my concern is if I can't order it on pre-order day or not, I really don't want to have to bring my mom into this but the way it sounds I'll have to.

Yea, I'll have to upgrade my uncle's line and then transfer it to mine, but will his service just automatically go back to his old phone after I transfer the iPhone to my line? I just don't want to mess with his service or anything.

Hopefully someone else can help us, cause I would hate for things to get screwed up and then I get bitched at for getting a new phone.

Just sounds like we'll have to wait for the day to come closer so they release the instructions

Hopefully someone else can help us, cause I would hate for things to get screwed up and then I get bitched at for getting a new phone.

Just sounds like we'll have to wait for the day to come closer so they release the instructions

I just hope they release the instructions before pre-order instead of before the 10th.

After reading that, it sounds like I'd need my uncle to call in and reactivate his old phone, ugh..was really hoping I wouldn't have to involve him in this mess! Why do they need to make this so complicated for no apparent reason!

Wow this is disappointing, i hope its not much of a pain because i too am using a family members upgrade for the iphone..

Wow this is disappointing, i hope its not much of a pain because i too am using a family members upgrade for the iphone..

It wouldn't normally be that bad, but since my uncle lives in another state and is not tech savvy at all it'd make it a very difficult process.

hmm I'm actually using my brothers upgrade who has data packaging(droidx) in which I'm curious if i'll have to deal with him or how it would work now.

hmm I'm actually using my brothers upgrade who has data packaging(droidx) in which I'm curious if i'll have to deal with him or how it would work now.

That's another problem is my uncle doesn't have the data package and it would be terrible if he somehow got stuck with it.

Yeah im worried about the data package too, im on a family plan and have a data plan on my phone, the line im using the upgrade for the iphone on does not..

I am mostly annoyed ill have to call verizon to swap the phone service on launch day.. going to be hell.

Yeah best option is to call VZW or go to a store asap and get it sorted out. I just got off the phone with my brother and he found this as stupid as I did. If Verizon knew their customers wanted the Iphone so bad then why make it hard on some people.

Anyways I hope no one gets screwed by the whole data package, I would think you could cancel it at any time like a text messaging plan(you would have to get a different phone of course) I just hate how I can't do any of this myself and will have to depend on my brother and good customer service by Verizon.