What's new

Question about restoring

tom_toms

Reaction score
Hi all, I have an Iphone 4, 4.1, BB 02.10.04, currently jailbroken with limera1n and still factory locked, I have now learnt that Vodafone will unlock for free and they have informed me that they have requested to Apple to unlock it.

So I am now working offshore, due home on thursday, then i'm gonna try it, Vodafone say to just insert a different network's sim, and I should get a message saying it's unlocked, if that fails they say to do a restore.

I'm gonna try the different sim method, but if that fails I wanna be sure I do it right, if I restore I have to hold the shift key whilst clicking restore right? (Windows), and have the IPSW file downloaded from iclarified which I need to select and then I will just stay on 4.1?.
I also have my shsh saved on my laptop for 4.1 (and some others, can't remember which offhand)

I also understand I need to use pkgbackup to save all my cydia apps also so I don't lose them.

Is that all right, or am I missing anything?, sorry but I want to make sure I do all this right, as i'm only at home for 2 days and then have to travel and want to make sure i'm unlocked for that!.

I'm not too bothered about updating my firmware yet but will look at doing that in the future.

Thanks in advance for clarifying some probably very simple questions, but I worry I will make a mistake somehow!!.

Cheers,
Tom.

Last edited:
Yeah you have it pretty much right. Most of the Australian carriers will unlock the iPhone free of charge (I assume you're in Australia).

From what I know the unlock done by the carrier is a 2 part process, the carrier does it on their end, then it needs to be done on the device. I was under the impression a restore had to be done to complete the process. I know you do with Optus and 3 as I have done those.

Once you restore you get a pop up saying "congrats you're unlocked" or something similar.

Before you do any restore, just right click in iTunes your device, and click Backup. Once complete, right click again and click Transfer purchases just to make sure (that puts all your apps on your phone from app store, into your iTunes library).

You can use Pkg Manager from Cydia to back up your Cydia apps, it doesn't back them up really, it basically saves all of the Cydia installed app names to a file, or online DB (dropbox). Once you have restored and re-JB'd your phone you can install Pkg Manager again, then click restore, it goes off and reinstalls all your Cydia apps. It works great.

When you restore, with Windows click Shift and Restore. It should pop up with a Windows thing where you can navigate to the ipsw file you downloaded.

If it pops up saying that it found a new update from Apple 4.3.2, click cancel.

You have saved your SHSH blobs which is good, however you will only need those if you want to downgrade in the future back to whatever you are on now. You shouldn't need those this time.

Good luck!! If you run into problems let us know.

Hi all, I have an Iphone 4, 4.1, BB 02.10.04, currently jailbroken with limera1n and still factory locked, I have now learnt that Vodafone will unlock for free and they have informed me that they have requested to Apple to unlock it.

So I am now working offshore, due home on thursday, then i'm gonna try it, Vodafone say to just insert a different network's sim, and I should get a message saying it's unlocked, if that fails they say to do a restore.

I'm gonna try the different sim method, but if that fails I wanna be sure I do it right, if I restore I have to hold the shift key whilst clicking restore right? (Windows), and have the IPSW file downloaded from iclarified which I need to select and then I will just stay on 4.1?.
I also have my shsh saved on my laptop for 4.1 (and some others, can't remember which offhand)

I also understand I need to use pkgbackup to save all my cydia apps also so I don't lose them.

Is that all right, or am I missing anything?, sorry but I want to make sure I do all this right, as i'm only at home for 2 days and then have to travel and want to make sure i'm unlocked for that!.

I'm not too bothered about updating my firmware yet but will look at doing that in the future.

Thanks in advance for clarifying some probably very simple questions, but I worry I will make a mistake somehow!!.

Cheers,
Tom.

hi there!

well if vodafone is going to unlock for you then you dont need to worry about baseband and you can just upgrade, shsh blobs you can save with tiny umbrella but they only matter if you want to downgrade firmware..

so you should just plug it into itunes and you can upgrade to 4.3.2 and there is a un tethered jailbreak if you want to upgrade and you can use pkgbackup or aptbackup (free) to backup jailbreak links and will re install it when you jailbreak again just remember to download it first from cydia and then restore.. i had trouble with pkgbackup where my backup was corrupt and i was glad i had used aptbackup also because that worked.. also it uninstalled all my app store apps so i had to spend time re installing in itunes so maybe use both have an extra backup make sure you authorise itunes on the computer, also make sure you have the latest itunes and Dev-Team Blog is where the files are for jailbreak 4.3.2 if you want to.

if vodafone have unlocked you then you will restore and it will say something like congratulations you are now unlocked. maybe you should ring them and make sure its been done before you do anything in itunes though

PS. Don't worry about making a mistake. As long as you back everything up properly to begin with you can't really go wrong :) Worst case would be restoring again :)

Craig foot: no i'm in England! :) thanks for the advice, I want to go to 4.3.2 but I think I'll just unlock first to make sure that works, (vodafone have emailed to say they have requested it from apple so it should be ok).

I may upgrade to 4.3.2 straight after I complete factory unlocking it, once the factory unlock is done, it's impossible for it to become locked again is that right?.

Anyway i'll let you know at the weekend if everything goes to plan!, thanks again for the help.

Tom

No worries Tom.

Some good news for you. The 4.3.2 JB came out yesterday so when you do your Restore to complete your unlock process, you can go straight to 4.3.2. Then JB with the new redsn0w.

Good luck!

That's excellent, so just to confirm, I will do a backup with itunes, backup my purchases and backup with PKGbackup also.

Then restore to get the factory unlock and make sure it works, then just go to update to 4.3.2 once I know it's safely factory unlocked, the re-jailbreak and PkgBackup with replace all my jailbreak apps?.

Do I need to remove my current limera1n jailbreak first before I start all this?, or will the restore that I do first just remove this anyway?.

Sorry to ask so many more questions, and appreciate all the help!!.

:)

Tom

You dont need to remove the existing JB. When you restore it loads a new version of the OS then applies your settings and apps onto the new OS.

1. Back up in pkg restore.
2. back up in itunes.
3. Upgrade to 4.3.2 in itunes. When it finishes you should have all your apps on the main screens.
4. Jailbreak with the new redsn0w.
5. Open cydia (it will setup and reboot your phone).
6. Install pkg manager.
7. Restore in pkg manager. This will reboot again and your original layout will be back.
8. Done

They are the badic steps.

Thanks so much guys, I feel confident in doing this now, I'll let you know how I get on!!.

Cheers,

Tom.

well if vodafone is going to unlock for you then you dont need to worry about baseband and you can just upgrade, shsh blobs you can save with tiny umbrella but they only matter if you want to downgrade firmware..

Hi, I have a problem!

I tried to restore and update to 4.3.2, but I got the error 1013?, my phone is now stuck with the connect to itunes logo.

I tried again but had the same error, tried restarting my computer, i have downloaded the latest itunes, and have tried to exit recovery with tiny umbrella also, but that isnt seeming to do anything!!..

Help please!!

^^^my last post can be disregarded, i sussed it out, and i'm now factory unlocked and jailbroken on 4.3.2, thanks again for your help!