What's new

Putting MP3 Ringtones on the iPhone 4

HausOfCorey

Reaction score
Hey guys! So I have quite a few ringtones that I made. I make all of my ringtones in Audacity and I would like to continue doing so even with my iPhone 4. I save my ringtones as MP3 files through Audacity. I was wondering how I could take those MP3 files and put them on my iPhone as a ringtone.

Thank you!

you cant select mp3s as ringtones though you have to convert them to m4r format first and they have to be around 30 seconds in length

select any mp3 of your choice from itunes then right click and convert it to AAC.. now make sure you have file extensions showing for all files and it should be named as .m4a now rename that to .m4r and make sure its 30 seconds or under and load it in itunes and then it will load in your ringtone settings under Custom tones

select any mp3 of your choice from itunes then right click and convert it to AAC.. now make sure you have file extensions showing for all files and it should be named as .m4a now rename that to .m4r and make sure its 30 seconds or under and load it in itunes and then it will load in your ringtone settings under Custom tones

Okay, thank you!! :)

I totally just figured it out! Thank you guys!!

Last edited:
is there a way to purchase ringtones and NOT have to go thru iTunes?
sometimes it would be much easier to just purchase one and be able to set it right on the spot instead of having to use iTunes :)

additionally, I'm not seeing a "ringtone" spot on iTunes?
do i have to create something?

Last edited:
is there a way to purchase ringtones and NOT have to go thru iTunes?
sometimes it would be much easier to just purchase one and be able to set it right on the spot instead of having to use iTunes :)

additionally, I'm not seeing a "ringtone" spot on iTunes?
do i have to create something?

get "ringtoneMaker" app from the app store, open it and follow instructions to create your ringtones and have them loaded into your phone.

How do you change the extensions as I was told it was in tools menu but I dont appear to have tools menu?

How do you change the extensions as I was told it was in tools menu but I dont appear to have tools menu?

Show or hide file name extensions

A file name extension is a set of characters added to the end of a file name that determine which program should open it. Follow these steps to choose whether Windows displays these file extensions.

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

Click the View tab, and then, under Advanced settings, do one of the following:

To hide file extensions, select the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.

To display file extensions, clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.