What's new

"pure" GPS ?

cmt

Reaction score
does the iphone has a gps antena? like a stand alone gps? or can only find position from phone net antenas? Just because I can never have position while flying... any good app for GPS only? like beeline gps... looking for a gps tracking that works ONLY with gps antenna without 3G or GPRS coverage.
Thanks a lot!

Have you read about TomTom or Navigon or motionX in the apps store?

Or the Garmin app? Which also works in offline mode.

The only disadvantages of the offline GPS apps is the incredible amount of storage (in excess of 1GB) that the maps take up.

On the other hand, some iOS games are that large; so it doesn't really matter.

The iPhones GPS is like a normal GPS you would have in you're car. You dont need any network signal or data signal for it to work. You do however need a data signal to be able to use the in built google maps.

Fortunately like has been said before me there are plenty apps in the app store that will install the maps to your phone...

Thanks a lot for the help!
But what I am really looking for is not a navigation app...
Is more like the MotionX that I already use but witch doesn't need wifi or mobile net.
The MotionX can NOT work while flying cause it simply loose GPS signal.
I used to use BeeLine GPS for the windows and it worked perfectly inflight; so I could record miles and miles of tracks and later on download them to the google earth.
Now I can't find anything similar...

Check out GPSSPEED HD in the app store, it might do what you want. You can contact the developer for specific questions.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF.net

You're gonna have to find an app that runs on the phone and not the 3 g signals.