What's new

Proper Charging Voltage for Iphone 4s? Same as Ipod Touch 2nd Gen?

tafkam

Reaction score
Hi,

I am getting my first Iphone if AT&T gets them in, and although I do have an Ipod Touch 2nd Gen, this is my first experience with the phone.

I have a Belkin wall charger that that I use to charge the Ipod if my PC is not on. It seems to work just fine. I was shopping for a new wall charger as well as a car charger for the Iphone, and noticed that there are different voltages and amp rating on some of them.

My Belkin charger states 0.5 amps (it is not here with my I do not recall voltage) where as most of the ones I see in the store now, be it wall or car chargers, stated 5 volts 1 amp or in some cases 2.1 amps @ (I think) 10 or 12 volts.

I understand that the latter are for Ipads, which I do not anticipate getting. So, for safe charging at home and in the car, I take it that the 1 amp is kind of the standard, and that the 0.5 amp will work it just may take longer to charge or may not work to use the phone to talk while it is charging?

I did talk to a few of people here at work who just charge them in whatever without worrying about it, but this phone is costing me quite a bit of money and I want to make sure I don't do anything stupid like charge with too much juice.

I was also told that for example, if the phone is only supposed to get charged at 1 amp and it is getting 2.1, then either the phone or the charger is supposed to limit it to whatever it needs.

That is all fine, but I would rather just charge the phone with what it needs and no more as I do not plan on charging anything requiring more amperage or volts, and if I ever do I will get a charger for that.

Probably a very simple stupid question but I wanted to get a definitive answer before I purchase any charging equipment. Oh, the Ipod Touch 2nd Gen will also be used with this stuff but I am assuming that it needs the same requirements as the Iphone 4s.

Thanks in advance to any information that could help me in my decision.

Mike

The rules of "consumer grade" electronics:

Proper polarity.
Proper voltage.
Any amperage above what is needed.

If your voltage is too high or low, that will cause issues with the device.
If you amperage is too low, that will cause issues with the device.

And yes the device, if properly made, determines the amperage draw.

Thanks Skull One, so I take it that the 5v 1amp is probably my best bet, but from what you say the Belkin wall charger, which is only 0.5 amps, may be an issue as it may be too low? Also I did not verify that the proper voltage for the Touch/Iphone is 5v I just assume that it is as most of the chargers are this voltage.

The ones that say "Ipad" are the ones that are over 5 volts and I don't need one of those, and even if I did I would be wary of charging the Iphone or Ipod with it.

Since the iPhone 4S can be charged from a USB 2 port, I would say a .5 amp trickle charge is well within spec. The only issue is charge time. It will simply take longer.

Thanks again, sounds like I am safe using the 5v 1.0 amp wall and car chargers for both the Iphone 4s as well as the Ipod Touch 2nd Gen. I really appreciate the advice.