What's new

Problems with iMessage

PremieMom

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am having issues with iMessage.
When I message someone on iMessage it's showing up as my email and not my number. How do I change it to just my number? It shows that it's going to both number and email but I just want it to go from my number.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Does the person receiving your message have your phone number stored on their phone as well?

Yes. The only way for it to show up my number and not my email is for them to delete my contact and then re-add me.

iMessage is still in beta,i have problems with it in one form or another,it will be better once Mountain Lion comes.

tell your friend (the one that you message) is to save your email address. add it in your contact. and your name will appear

Sent from my  iPhone 4s  using Tapatalk

view2darrel said:
tell your friend (the one that you message) is to save your email address. add it in your contact. and your name will appear

Sent from my  iPhone 4s  using Tapatalk

They didn't have to do that before so why do they have to do it now? I only changed my phone number. The only way I can get it to just show my number is by signing out of AppleID. Is there another way?

Check your iMessage settings. Settings>Messages>Receive at>Caller ID. I have my phone number checked and it is listed as +1 (xxx)xxx-xxxx. I don't recall setting it up that way, it must have taken my number and set it that way when I activated iMessage. I have my e-mail listed as well, but my phone number is the one checked.

xrayeyes said:
Check your iMessage settings. Settings>Messages>Receive at>Caller ID. I have my phone number checked and it is listed as +1 (xxx)xxx-xxxx. I don't recall setting it up that way, it must have taken my number and set it that way when I activated iMessage. I have my e-mail listed as well, but my phone number is the one checked.

My phone number is also checked but when I'm signed into Apple ID it says that I'm receiving at both email and phone number.

Do you have "Send as SMS" on?? I use this all the time to text between iPhone users and Android users and never has it shown up as my email. It sounds like the receipient does not have your cell number in their system.

dlwhtrose said:
Do you have "Send as SMS" on?? I use this all the time to text between iPhone users and Android users and never has it shown up as my email. It sounds like the receipient does not have your cell number in their system.

Yep! And the recipients does have me in there contacts as one of them is my hubby.
I just don't get it! Grrr
I checked my hubby's settings and his even goes to his email and number.

Here's a screenshot

$image-2223866810.jpg

Hey everyone,
I am having issues with iMessage.
When I message someone on iMessage it's showing up as my email and not my number. How do I change it to just my number? It shows that it's going to both number and email but I just want it to go from my number.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
if everyone you iMessage receives your messages and you receive theirs then does it really matter how it shows? i get iMessages from friends and some i see their email address and some i see their phone number and some just their name but it isn't a problem as long as the messages are delivered,is there a particular reason why you don't want your email to show?

Can you show us a screen shot of the "Received at"? And also the next page, "caller ID"? I am not sure how to do it, but somehow you can blur out a few of the numbers of your phone so it's not shown. And what do you mean "checked into Apple ID?" Are you signing in and out for some reason? I always stay signed in on my phone. Maybe there is a glitch there.

So, now that I reread some of the OP discussion, I am confused. When I get and send a text, I cannot tell where it is coming from or how the recipient gets it as far as their phone or e-mail ID. I only see their contact name (as long as they are in my contacts). If I get a text from someone NOT in my contact list, I do see just a phone number. So, to the OP, are you saying when the message pops up to the recipient they are only seeing an e-mail address and not your name?

Or are you saying the text message goes TO their e-mail instead of their phone number?

xrayeyes said:
So, now that I reread some of the OP discussion, I am confused. When I get and send a text, I cannot tell where it is coming from or how the recipient gets it as far as their phone or e-mail ID. I only see their contact name (as long as they are in my contacts). If I get a text from someone NOT in my contact list, I do see just a phone number. So, to the OP, are you saying when the message pops up to the recipient they are only seeing an e-mail address and not your name?

Or are you saying the text message goes TO their e-mail instead of their phone number?

Well...the test message would go to the phone number only...not the email...no matter what.

The iMessage does not go to phone numbers...it can *only* go to your Apple ID email address....even this you can choose to show phone number...which is what the receiver would have to have setup.

The only reason you should see an email instead of a name is with people not saves on contacts and also have there email setup as caller ID...instead of the phone number.

But I agree with you...I am a little confused as to what he is actually saying myself.

But what I do know is that....if you receive an iMessage...and all you see is the email and not the phone number....it is because the person that sent you the iMessage has it setup like that...and has nothing to do with the phone that received the iMessage.