What's new

Problem with USB Cable

Myron

Reaction score
The supplied Lightning USB Cable has given me unique problems. Not long after using, the white plastic coating began tearing-off thus exposing the live wires within. I brought the cable to my local Apple Store for a replacement but they refused saying that I damaged the cable. They wanted me to buy a new cable. I thought it was guaranteed for 1 year and how could I have caused damage to make the white insulation peel-off? Do any others have problems with the cable? What action should I take?

There is another thread on this subject (closed now) You didn't say what iPhone you have but if it's under 12 months old it should be covered under the warranty.

[h=1]Lightning cable has me down.[/h]

Thanks. I have the iPhone 5. I had trouble also with the cable supplied with the iPhone 3, but not with the insulation peeling-off.

Thanks. I have the iPhone 5. I had trouble also with the cable supplied with the iPhone 3, but not with the insulation peeling-off.
Have another try with Apple, different person different day you just might get an exchange.

I got a replacement cord for $4 from my local 99 c store. I still want Apple to exchange the frayed wire. They have never been nice at their stores since clerks are not in unions and get no benefits so they are unhappy.

I got a replacement cord for $4 from my local 99 c store. I still want Apple to exchange the frayed wire. They have never been nice at their stores since clerks are not in unions and get no benefits so they are unhappy.
Keep trying, If it was me i would phone Apple support and see what they say, They were great with me when i first had an iPad, they sent me a new cable out free of charge, arrived in two days from me calling them, there's nothing to lose by asking them.