What's new

Please help! Updating to iOS6 on Jailbroken phone...

jaxiz

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Kinda freaking out, because I'm an idiot. I have a iphone 4s, jailbroken, and I tried to update to iOS6 through iTunes. Obviously, it didn't work. So now I'm stuck at the screen with iTunes logo. My only option on itunes is to restore, which would cause me to lose all my data. I did not back up anything before starting the process.

When I open redsnow, I'm unable to proceed because I'm unable to exit recovery mode. Even when I use the Recovery fix tool, the phone just restarts and instantly re-enters recovery mode.

I feel so dumb right now and I'm terrified of losing my data on the phone. But I feel like I can't be the only idiot who did this. Is there any way to save the data? Maybe by downloading the IPSW manually? ANY HELP would be much appreciated. THANK YOU

I tried using the iTunes Restore function, but it was unable to restore.

Are you saying you've already manually downloaded the IPSW and used the "Shift+Restore" method via iTunes. Also, did you create a backup of your 4S before trying to update... or have a backup via iCloud? If so, there's no worry of losing data.

EDIT: @Thomas, I don't think he's tried it. @OP, you can download the iOS manually at a lot of sites. You can Google "download ios ipsw" and the first link would be felix---- (can't type out the full name/link). Choose your device and iOS 6, download, and as Thomas said, hold shift and click restore. If that doesn't work (usually doesn't for jailbroken devices), you'll need to put the device into DFU mode first, THEN perform it.

Always backup your iPhone every so often. And after every iOS update, save your blobs to make sure you have a failsafe. Put the device into DFU mode and try kicking it out of DFU using TinyUmbrella.

From what I'm understanding, your iPhone is still technically iOS 5, trying to upgrade to iOS 6. If that's the case, and you have OpenSSH on your iPhone already, you can try to access the data through SSH.

You'd need to download ssh_rd_rev03b.jar or ssh_rd_rev04.jar (Google it and it's the first link). You'll also need Java Runtime Environment 7 (JRE-7) downloadable through Java. Run the .jar file using JRE. Then connect your device and put it into DFU mode. Then open up Putty and connect to "localhost" port "2022". Type in "root" for user and "alpine" for password when asked. Then type "mount.sh". The result should be:

"Mounting dev/disk0s1s1 on /mnt1
Mounting dev/disk0s1s1 on /mnt2"

Then you can FTP into your device. What the above does is that it opens up your iPhone's SSH port to allow FTP. When the device is in DFU, recovery or standy, SSH is not active. After the port's open and you're connected through FTP like WinSCP, you can navigate to your important data and back them up manually.

I've tried it on my old Touch before. There were some notes and info that I needed to get since everything else was replaceable, so I had to get it out before a restore. It worked, but it's an older method.

Last edited:
EDIT: @Thomas, I don't think he's tried it. @OP, you can download the iOS manually at a lot of sites. You can Google "download ios ipsw" and the first link would be felix---- (can't type out the full name/link). Choose your device and iOS 6, download, and as Thomas said, hold shift and click restore. If that doesn't work (usually doesn't for jailbroken devices), you'll need to put the device into DFU mode first, THEN perform it.
We have a thread here @ iPF that containts direct Apple links for IPSW's. Stand by just one and I'll post a link for it.

Oh wow hurrdurrr..... I never realized it. My bad. It's good to have it so at least users know that it's trusted and safe. Learned something new

Thomasjtsi said:
Are you saying you've already manually downloaded the IPSW and used the "Shift+Restore" method via iTunes. Also, did you create a backup of your 4S before trying to update... or have a backup via iCloud? If so, there's no worry of losing data.

Hey is there a full untethered jb yet? If not can you keep me posted on when one will be?

jaxiz said:
Hi everyone,

Kinda freaking out, because I'm an idiot. I have a iphone 4s, jailbroken, and I tried to update to iOS6 through iTunes. Obviously, it didn't work. So now I'm stuck at the screen with iTunes logo. My only option on itunes is to restore, which would cause me to lose all my data. I did not back up anything before starting the process.

When I open redsnow, I'm unable to proceed because I'm unable to exit recovery mode. Even when I use the Recovery fix tool, the phone just restarts and instantly re-enters recovery mode.

I feel so dumb right now and I'm terrified of losing my data on the phone. But I feel like I can't be the only idiot who did this. Is there any way to save the data? Maybe by downloading the IPSW manually? ANY HELP would be much appreciated. THANK YOU

A restore in iTunes will update it

Hey is there a full untethered jb yet? If not can you keep me posted on when one will be?

Once it's released, it'll be under the Hacking Tuts & Guides section. And there'll be mass discussions/Q&A threads under the jailbreaking section. Crossing my fingers that Apple'll fix the battery problem before the dev-teams start jailbreaking any iOS 6 releases.