What's new

Please help! New iPhone 3gs no sound at all!

myth_sh

Reaction score
Ok, this is my first post and I'm really desperate!
I'm a new iPhone user, just received my 3gs 16GB iPhone. It is Jailbroken and unlocked and the iOS version is 4.1 as I can see in the settings.
Well, after I unboxed it, everything worked ok for 2 hours. Then I plugged it in iTunes and synced 1 song to it, just to check how it sounds on iPhone. The song played ok for 2 minutes and then suddenly the sound went off. And since that didn't came back. But the thing is that the sound is ok with the headphones plugged in. After I unplug them, nothing again. I mean all the sounds (Ipod, ringing, messaging, unlock sound...). And it works very well when calling someone.

I searched over the net for a solution but haven't found nothing that helped.

I tried plugging and unplugging headphones - nothing.
The mute button is off.
Tried cleaning the headphones plug with ear-cotton (saw it on youtube) but nothing.
Tried reseting from the Settings menu - nothing.
Tried holding the On button and Menu button at the same time until the Apple logo appears - nothing.

I even called a service, and the guy told me that it's possible that the Dock needs to be replaced. But, it is a new iPhone, so I'm not sure about that.

This is my first post, and I don't have much experience with the forums, so if this thread doesn't belong here, I'd like admins to redirect it somewhere else.

I would appreciate any help, since this is really driving me crazy!

Try an iTunes full restore when you plug the phone in if still the same send it back
If its new make sure no matter what you restore to remove the jailbreak or they won't accept it :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Try an iTunes full restore when you plug the phone in if still the same send it backIf its new make sure no matter what you restore to remove the jailbreak or they won't accept it :)
Incorrect... since you are relying on your phone to be Unlocked DO NOT restore your phone via iTunes!

Welcome to iPF.net!! :) Wanted to get my other post up as quickly as possible so the OP didn't inadvertently update. Updating via iTunes without first preserving your Baseband will most likely Lock your phone back to it's original carrier. I'm not certain beyond that though... I'm sorry. Hopefully someone w/ a bit more knowledge w/ the Unlocking will chime in here in regards to this. Hopefully the same will happen in regards to your concern w/ sound.

Incorrect... since you are relying on your phone to be Unlocked DO NOT restore your phone via iTunes!

You don't know this he didnt specify he was relying on the jailbreak for the unlock chances are he is but for all you know it could be a factory unlock from apple

You don't know this he didnt specify he was relying on the jailbreak for the unlock chances are he is but for all you know it could be a factory unlock from apple
You are correct in saying that the OP did not specify the reliance on a Jailbreak for the Unlock. However, seeing that the Firmware version is 4.1... it's safe to make the assumption that it's there due to utilizing a software Unlock that's supported at v4.1. If I am wrong, though, I would much rather error on the side of caution. Since the vast majority of individuals update their software or hardware Unlocked iDevice w/o property preserving their Baseband.

Correct but tbh I would do a restore if it works and fixes the issue then there is no harm in jailbreaking/unlocking again afterwards but if it didn't fix the issue since he said it was new I would send it back for a replacement.

Hey guys,
At first, I'm really grateful to all your quick responds!
I did not specify rather the Phone is Jailbroken, but actually, it is.
The seller stated it is Jailbroken and Unlocked from AT&T operator, that is also written in the back of the box.
I knew I was buying Jailbroken iPhone, and the seller sent me a note in the box not to restore it, or even not to update iOS because the phone can go totally off. I think he said "bricked" :)
That's why I haven't tried to restore it, or update it. If I come to doing this I think I'll let some iPhone expert do it for me, and pay it.
The thing is that the seller told me that I can return the unit to them and they will send me a new one, but I already payed like 130$ taxes on this unit, and if they send me the new one I'm afraid I'll have to pay another 130$ taxes and shipping 50$, So it really isn't the best option for me, because that's almost 200$ for a return.

Yesterday I tried blowing in the phone's dock, and the sound came for like 5 seconds and then again went off.

Everything else on the iPhone works fine, except the bloody sound without headphones...

I just wonder could it be a hardware or software problem?

Yes, Unlock, but I'm guess if I restore it with Itunes, I'll get the useless phone?

Told you network unlocked
First... At&t WILL NOT unlock any device from their network... ever. Second... the OP Stated that instructions came w/ the phone to NOT UPDATE. This specifically means that it's relying on the current firmware and baseband for the Jailbreak and Unlock. Please don't throw up the "I told you so" when you are clearly wrong.

Myth (OP), I would suggest contacting the seller you purchased the phone from if you contiune having this problem. If it's a new device then there's most certainly some type of return or warranty plan that comes with it. Just please don't Update via iTunes... this will most likely void any possibility of service from the seller.

Hey Thomas, thanks for your advice, but I already wrote about returning it in my older post where I said:

"The thing is that the seller told me that I can return the unit to them and they will send me a new one, but I already payed like 130$ taxes on this unit, and if they send me the new one I'm afraid I'll have to pay another 130$ taxes and shipping 50$, So it really isn't the best option for me, because that's almost 200$ for a return."

They will exchange the unitforme, but that could cost me like almost 200$, I can buy the new iPhone :)

That's why I would like to fix this if possible.

@thomasjtsi - Do you know if it is possible that this is iPhone dock problem?

Hey Thomas, thanks for your advice, but I already wrote about returning it in my older post where I said:"The thing is that the seller told me that I can return the unit to them and they will send me a new one, but I already payed like 130$ taxes on this unit, and if they send me the new one I'm afraid I'll have to pay another 130$ taxes and shipping 50$, So it really isn't the best option for me, because that's almost 200$ for a return."They will exchange the unitforme, but that could cost me like almost 200$, I can buy the new iPhone :)That's why I would like to fix this if possible.@thomasjtsi - Do you know if it is possible that this is iPhone dock problem?
Well I definitely don't blame you for not wanting to go the replacement route. :-( As far as it being the dock causing your problem... that's a possibility. The dock, speaker & mic are all one piece when replacing it. Check out iFixit.com for How-To's on replacing the dock on your 3GS and see if that's something you want to undertake... or you'll need a shop to replace it.

Definitely, I'm not gonna do it my self, I would take it to the shop. The guy there told me over the phone that he thinks it is a dock problem, and they would replace it with the cost of app 40$. It is not that much, because the seller told me if I decide not to return it back to them, that they will split costs of dock replacing with me. So, it would be 20$ me and 20$ them. That's not so bad. I'm just afraid that when I take it to the dock service, maybe they will say: oops, it's not a dock problem, we don't know what's wrong with it and we can't fix it :)
What makes me think that it really is a dock problem is the fact that when I blew some air at the dock connector, in one moment the sound came back, but then again it went off. But in the other hand, could it really be possible that the dock is broken on a brand new iPhone, after 2 hours of using it. That's what I'm worried about :(