What's new

Plastic??

Supahrob

Reaction score
OK - I had the iPhone 4 and I know it was glass. I know for a fact... cause I broke my first one, shattered it good - then promptly got a Body Glove case, which works great. Now I have the white Sprint iPhone 4s (wanted black, but they only had white and I needed the phone then and there). Today I took it back to Sprint to get a screen protector put on it. They took the BG case off it and I asked to hold the phone (I had never held this one naked), and I SWEAR it feels like the front and back are plastic! The back more than the front, but they both feel like plastic. I tapped it, and it sounded like plastic. My wife agreed as well. I felt and tapped the iPhone 4 many times, so I feel pretty familiar with how "iPhone glass" sounds and feels - this (the 4s) feels/sounds different!

Now, I absolutely LOVED the way the iPhone 4 looked. It was sleek and elegant, but after the first break, I had to hide the iPhone's beauty in a case. This lead me to the opinion - yours may differ - that the glass design was stupid. Monumentally Stupid! So I am actually hoping I am right about the 4s. I want it to be plastic. I am fairly certain that it is! I would say I am 95% certain that the back is plastic, and about 80% sure about the front. But I aint willing to risk it until I know for sure.

Does anyone know FOR SURE what the 4s housing is made of? Glass or plastic? Links to back up your claim would be great. I want so badly to take off my BG case and just carry the iphone naked.... but I will only do that if I can know for sure that it is plastic.

I thank you in advance for the help.

Take care,
Rob

yes the iphone 4S front and back are glass just like before. Heres a video doing a drop test of the iphone 4S

WARNING THIS IS PAINFUL TO WATCH....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm that is pretty compelling. But I still can't figure out why white 4s feels so majorly different than my black iPhone 4. The white 4s just feels plastic (which, again, I would prefer).

I do thank you for your reply - I was hoping more would weigh in. I am, in particular, hoping that someone who also has a WHITE 4s will reply as to wether they think it's glass or plastic.

Until I know different though, I am going by the video you posted and will continue to use a case.

Take care,
Rob

I have an IP4, not the 4S, but I can tell you that if I tap on either the front or back with a fingernail I wouldn't be able to tell for sure if it was glass or a high quality plastic (even though I know it's glass). The sound and feel could be either. Just my opinion.

I had the ip4 before this, and when I tapped on that on with my fingernail, it DEFINITELY felt different. The white 4s feels softer and lighter somehow (I know lighter isn't quite the right word, I aint talking about weight, but I don't know a better word).

Take care,
Rob

I just read this post this morning, I'm at work it just so happened that I was on break reading it , I got in a rush and accidentally dropped my iPhone 4s from about 6 ft on to a concrete floor!!! All I have on it is a plastic back cover but luckily it fell on its back side. Nothing happened.

@rosales - so do you have a white 4s? Do you think it's plastic?

Take care,
Rob

i have both the 4s and a GS2. and i can kinda see why the 4s didn't fair well in this test. is because it's too heavy when compaired to the GS2. you know what they say "the heavier they are, the harder they fall"