What's new

Pictures taken from iPhone land sideways on computer

Brigitte

Reaction score
Hi, I am totally new here and I am frustrated with Apple Technical Support. I have a new iPhone and I know how to use the camera and send the picture via E-mail. The problem is that the pictures land sideways on everybody's computer. I have tried to send it from different email addresses but it is never upright and only sideways when sent through E-mail to a computer and not from iPhone to iPhone. I spent a whole day with Apple Technical Support and no one heard about that problem. Please let me know if anyone experienced anything like that or if there is a fix.

Thanks.

Even ordinary digital cameras will do this. Some camera have a bit set in the meta-data saying what the orientation was, when the picture was taken, but it only automatically rotates the picture, in a program that recognizes that info in the meta-data, therefor, if you send it in an email and the person on the other end doesn't have that same program, it will not rotate. If you send it to another iPhone or iPad, it will recognize that bit in the meta-data and rotate the picture properly, because it's Apple and it understands what to do. Even that may not work because some programs that send the email will remove that bit, as it's not in a standard format it understands. So it will sometimes work and sometimes not.

Thanks for the quick answer. I need to look up what meta data means. It is amazing when I called Apple (I have AppleCare). I sent them a picture and their answer was always that the picture arrived fine (upright) and to call my Internet Provider. I got this basically all day and lots of hangups. Anyway, I am glad I found this forum (I looked through PC Magazine and found it there) and I will see you around. I will start with reading and reading a lot of blogs first. I think I can learn from them as a starter. Thanks again.

Meta data is the data stored within the picture file that tells you info about your picture.
Such as, name of camera, f-stop, shutter speed, focal length, was flash used, gps coordinates if your camera has gps, picture orientation, and many other items. It's also called EXIF data. Check out EXIF data on Google.

Now that you described what meta data means it makes sense. Actually to be absolutely correct about my statement about Apple technicians, there was one guy who told me to get educated about EXIF. He annoyed me a bit because of how he said "get educated." At the time I felt tired from calling all day and here is this guy telling me to get educated:-(
I am really puzzled about what jailbreaking a phone means. I did not start a threat about it but I replied to someone out there asking what jailbraking a phone means. I will continue to search for the answer but thanks in the meantime again for helping me out here understanding all of it.

Check out the TiBp forum. They have some excellent how-to's on jailbreaking. Follow their advice to a tee and I think you will love being JB'd. They have a special area for JB Q&A. Many other site also have good one's. iClarified is one.

O.K. I am learning. I tagged this thread with five words like album, camera, exif, photography, video quality. I wonder what will happen next. I am very new to forums but willing and able to learn.

I am working on TiBp. I searched but had no luck.

O.K. I am learning. I tagged this thread with five words like album, camera, exif, photography, video quality. I wonder what will happen next. I am very new to forums but willing and able to learn.

Tags just allow others googling your issue to be able to find your thread. Do your research before you think about jailbreaking. If your not tec savvy you will prolly end up frustrated and confused. Who wants a new phone thats a pain in the butt...

I have the same problem. I took a picture in portrait mode and transferred it to my pc. It would not rotate and ended up shown on sideways. So are the video's. Good thing is that these are test shot since I got my i6 recently. From now on, I will take pictures in landscape mode to avoid this problem.

It does not matter whether you take the picture in landscape. It does not work. There is no problem sending your picture from iphone to iphone but if you send it from iphone to computer it does not work. I sent the picture from various email addresses all over the world not just the US and it was reported back that it comes in sideways. I have not tried the video yet but good to know and thanks for the info on the video problem. Let me know if your problem was solved.

Tags just allow others googling your issue to be able to find your thread. Do your research before you think about jailbreaking. If your not tec savvy you will prolly end up frustrated and confused. Who wants a new phone thats a pain in the butt...

I read some of the anwers as to why people are jailbreaking. I would love to get away from AT&T, I think one platform is the way to go. Apple and Microsoft who wants to spend all day learning this and that. Just give me a tool I can run with and be "free" of all the technical stuff that comes along with it. No, I am not jailbreaking yet. I am not technical savvy but I do know my way around and change things if it is important to me. I think this group of jailbreakers are on to something. Yes, go and change the monopoly. I am all for it.

I have the same problem. I took a picture in portrait mode and transferred it to my pc. It would not rotate and ended up shown on sideways. So are the video's. Good thing is that these are test shot since I got my i6 recently. From now on, I will take pictures in landscape mode to avoid this problem.

Sorry, I was mistaken. I checked my iphone4 test shots again. Photos are ok, they do display properly on my computer (I transfer them directly from my iphone4 to my computer, not via email, and I am not JB).

Video is another story. It has to be taken in landscape mode. It will not rotate.

Maybe you should try transferring your photos to your computer directly and see what happens. Just connect iphone4 to any pc, it will show a DCIM file and you can copy and paste into your pc.

But, still does not solve your email problem.

Last edited:
A tip for video: Hold the camera in landscape position, with the camera lens on the top left and the shutter on your right. My first video was in portrait mode, when I realized what I had done, I turned ti into landscape position with the lens on the bottom right and the shutter on the left. My movie was upside down when viewed, duh! LOL

Looks like Dannyboy had trouble with jailbreaking. I have had NONE! Just do your research first, and wait for 4.2 to be out for a week or two before attempting it. Otherwise your probably asking for trouble. LOL

OK. Just tried to email 2 photos taken in portrait and landscape modes to myself via wifi (not 3g). Landscape mode is ok. Portait mode looks sideways (on the email thumnail) , but opening it with software, it does rotate properly. I think there maybe something wrong with OP's phone. BTW, mine is not JB.

I've noticed that sometimes even when pictures show up on the computer upside down or sideways that they will show up properly on the same computer if brought into Photoshop.