What's new

Phone has passcode; DFU doesn't work

mdholm

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, right after I upgraded to ATT, I moved my service to Verizon. This left me with an ATT iphone 5, which I sold on eBay. After I sent it, the buyer changed his mind, and after a lot of drama I ended up with my phone back. The problem is, he sent it with a passcode on it. I know he set it up because there is a photo now that isn't the typical new phone default photo, and he also set it up so that it locks after one attempt. I didn't even know that was possible. I've tried all the DFU/restore methods, but I keep getting a message in iTunes that I need to unlock the passcode first. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks!

mdholm said:
A few weeks ago, right after I upgraded to ATT, I moved my service to Verizon. This left me with an ATT iphone 5, which I sold on eBay. After I sent it, the buyer changed his mind, and after a lot of drama I ended up with my phone back. The problem is, he sent it with a passcode on it. I know he set it up because there is a photo now that isn't the typical new phone default photo, and he also set it up so that it locks after one attempt. I didn't even know that was possible. I've tried all the DFU/restore methods, but I keep getting a message in iTunes that I need to unlock the passcode first. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks!

You have to open iTunes on your computer, then connect the iPhone to the computer with the docking cable. Once iTunes recognizes the iPhone, you will have to erase all content and settings using the controls in iTunes. This will give a wiped phone, just as it was when you first bought it, with no password lock.

BTW, you can't set up a non-jailbroken iPhone to wipe itself after only one failed password attempt. One last thought, did you check the serial number on the back of the phone to make sure that the phone that was returned is the same one that you shipped?

Last edited:
scifan57 said:
You have to open iTunes on your computer, then connect the iPhone to the computer with the docking cable. Once iTunes recognizes the iPhone, you will have to erase all content and settings using the controls in iTunes. This will give a wiped phone, just as it was when you first bought it, with no password lock.

BTW, you can't set up a non-jailbroken iPhone to wipe itself after only one failed password attempt. One last thought, did you check the serial number on the back of the phone to make sure that the phone that was returned is the same one that you shipped?

Thanks. I figured it out and got it cleared. And yes, I did check; it's the same phone.