What's new

Phone crashed - HELP

Scoobs

Reaction score
Hello All

My iPhone 6 plus crashed when I was on the daily mail app this morning (timer going round for a long time). A bit of background.. the last couple of days an annoying virus-type pop-up kept coming up while I was on the Bournemouth echo website (bearing in mind I have had this app for ages) saying I had won some prize and buzzing like mad). I didn't open it, just double clicked on my home button and swiped it away. I wonder however if this is the cause of the problems Ive had since as it happened two or three times.

The first step I took was to restart the phone by long-pressing the home and start buttons. It got stuck in start up mode, however, with white background and apple logo. My battery charger kept buzzing too (which it does when first put in the charger port). I then tried to force a recovery mode by holding the home button, no joy. Finally I tried to get it to restart/going into recovery via iTunes on my laptop but it didn't detect the iPhone (even though the usb port recognises other devices). I tried downloading a driver for iPhone but they all turned out to be viruses (a message said I had no iPhone driver). I have also read that I need to have my phone unlocked before it can be recognised but I cant do that as its stuck.

Please help! Ive been hours at this and going cross-eyed. Ive followed all the online suggestions but they don't cater for those whose phones are locked with a passcode and which wont start in recovery mode (tried this off and online but wont move pass apple logo).

Does anyone have an idea if this is virus related or something else? Has it caused a hardware problem? Its not under warrantee and really don't have the cash or time at the moment to get this fixed. Im a bit worried about the safety of my banking app too if it is a virus.

Any advice much welcome!

Thank you!!!

Hello again scifan

I am wondering if I needed to have synced the phone with the iTunes software on my windows 10 laptop before attempting to do this?

No slider to turn off came up and neither did a message on windows app to put into dfu or recovery mode.

I followed the instructions nevertheless and the screen did go black (the article suggests it goes black when in dfu mode) when there was always a white screen with the apple logo before.

It is still black. Is it a matter of waiting (how long?) or is it 'stuck' again because I am not able to activate a recovery via iTunes - possibly due to not having previously synced or connected my phone online?

Many thanks!

Scoobs

DFU mode is used in conjunction with iTunes on your computer. It should connect to iTunes on the computer. It will erase the password as well as any other data on the iPhone. BTW, if you use Find My iPhone, go to iCloud.com on your computer, sign into your iCloud account and remove the iPhone from your iCloud account.

Well, the screen has finally come out of it's black phase and the white screen with apple logo is back on. It's been on about five minutes so far. Here's hoping it's achieved it's restore and will at some point properly load. I will update.

Oh my goodness!! My phone has just rung (rang?). It's working but the white screen/apple logo remains so I can't reply. Any ideas??

Are you connected to iTunes on your computer?
To be honest, scifan, I don't actually know. We are logged into our iTunes account (my son and I have somehow ended up sharing the same account on our two iphones) and a message has since come up saying we don't have the correct drivers for iPhone and need to update something on windows (was going to write down what I needed to update but got interrupted). I guess iTunes must recognise a phone to tell us we need the drivers? Presumably a latest windows update (takes ages!) is in order?

Thanks, I had previously seen this but my phone is locked (password) and not on homescreen. Im unable to correct either as I cant get into my phone. Possibly this is causing the problem.

I am now attempting to update windows as a message under windows update says there is an error and an update required for the apple usb. Problem is it doesn't want to update and keeps saying to try again. Haha Im not having much luck today! Off to google how to fix windows not updating! I feel im getting somewhere though, albeit very slowly!

Once you've made sure that iTunes on your computer is updated and the Apple iOS driver is installed, connecting your iPhone to iTunes on your computer and going into DFU mode will erase the password and everything else on your iPhone.

Thank you scifan. is there any alternative? All our precious holiday photos are on there.

Thank you scifan. is there any alternative? All our precious holiday photos are on there.
Did you ever backup your iPhone to iTunes? If so, the photos would be included in the backup. Do you have your photos in icloud?

Unfortunately, if you don’t have your photos backed up eksewhere, they’ll be lost when you do a DFU restore.