What's new

Personal Hotspot - very troublesome

bingoldsby

Reaction score
I have the paid Verizon "Personal Hotspot" service, and generally connect it by USB... which is quite reliable. However the WiFi connect scheme is a big PIA. Most of the time I have to bully it, poke it, shut it down (phone and computer) cuss at it, throw it at the wall, and say unmentionable things before it will negotiate a complete connection between the two. I have devised a DOS batch file to release and renew the IP lease, but most of the time that doesn't help either.

I have a feeling it is mostly a problem with Windows 7 wireless networking. There seems to be some incomprehensible things about it that just aren't the same as in good ol' Windows XP.

I do also have MyWi installed and I think it works better than the native tethering as far as the WiFi end of it goes, but I've been trying to burn through as much of the 2 gigs first before working with it that much.

If anyone has had any experiences with Verizons tethering and can offer some comments and advice, I'd deeply appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

Brian

I have found a successful sequence of operations that gets the various tethering connections going every time now. It's really a matter of IP addressing and protocols. I seem to have settled on the right order of starting the processes that seems to make it work just fine now.

Brian

I have found a successful sequence of operations that gets the various tethering connections going every time now. It's really a matter of IP addressing and protocols. I seem to have settled on the right order of starting the processes that seems to make it work just fine now.

Brian

What was the procedure you used? I am having the same trouble

The problem is not related to Windows 7. I have an iPad, laptop and desktop. All can see the hotspot signal, but none can successfuly connect. Anyone found a solution?

I have tried myfi and the built in tethering and have had problems getting my iPad and iPods to work with both. Myfi does seem to work a little better but is still a pita. Any assistance would be appreciated. Myfi has told me that they are completely rewriting their utility and based upon my feedback know there is a problem with myfi tethering with iPads.

mooseamoose said:
I have tried myfi and the built in tethering and have had problems getting my iPad and iPods to work with both. Myfi does seem to work a little better but is still a pita. Any assistance would be appreciated. Myfi has told me that they are completely rewriting their utility and based upon my feedback know there is a problem with myfi tethering with iPads.

I have found that if I toggle Personal Hotspot on-off-on on iphone, it will get recognized by other wifi devices sniffing for wifi quickly.

I use TetherMe on my jailbroken Verizon iPhone and I never have problems with Wi-Fi or USB tethering. AND I don't have to pay $30/month, it's great!

Jmills87 said:
I use TetherMe on my jailbroken Verizon iPhone and I never have problems with Wi-Fi or USB tethering. AND I don't have to pay $30/month, it's great!

I am afraid of getting caught and owing several $$$ lol. I pay the tethering fee of 20.00 at least I save 10.00 lol.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.0.1 Update using iPF.net

bingoldsby said:
I have the paid Verizon "Personal Hotspot" service, and generally connect it by USB... which is quite reliable. However the WiFi connect scheme is a big PIA. Most of the time I have to bully it, poke it, shut it down (phone and computer) cuss at it, throw it at the wall, and say unmentionable things before it will negotiate a complete connection between the two. I have devised a DOS batch file to release and renew the IP lease, but most of the time that doesn't help either.

I have a feeling it is mostly a problem with Windows 7 wireless networking. There seems to be some incomprehensible things about it that just aren't the same as in good ol' Windows XP.

I do also have MyWi installed and I think it works better than the native tethering as far as the WiFi end of it goes, but I've been trying to burn through as much of the 2 gigs first before working with it that much.

If anyone has had any experiences with Verizons tethering and can offer some comments and advice, I'd deeply appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

Brian

I tether Bluetooth and I don't have any probs. I don't use wifi be because I am afraid it will show up at work lol.

AE1M said:
I have found that if I toggle Personal Hotspot on-off-on on iphone, it will get recognized by other wifi devices sniffing for wifi quickly.

Yes that works as well.

what is the point of tethering i do not get it it seems like it would be easier to use WiFi i mean half the world has WiFi gas stations restaurants malls and more can someone explane this to me lol

appleiphonepro said:
what is the point of tethering i do not get it it seems like it would be easier to use WiFi i mean half the world has WiFi gas stations restaurants malls and more can someone explane this to me lol

If its available to at the moment. Wifi for me is not available at work and why would you wan to use the company's wifi anyway on your personal device. Wifi is not available everywhere which is why I tether my iPad to my iPhone. iPhone has unlimited data.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.0.1 Update and Tusing iPF.net