What's new

Pay as you go AT&T iPhone 4 works GREAT!

roadracer516

Reaction score
I am currently on a pay as you go AT&T plan using an iPhone 4. Everything works awesome, phone, data, internet, facetime, 3g, wifi, text, mms, you name it!

I was really skeptical after reading the nightmare stories when AT&T dumped the prepaid iPhone. After diligent research and the correct settings, I have a 100% functioning iPhone 4 on AT&T prepaid.

Obviously for the iPhone 4, you need to trim your SIM card. Here is a link to a how to:

SIM-Trim: Cutting Card Down to MicroSIM Size | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

This is for AT&T.

On iphone browser, go to: Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone

Click continue, then click Custom APN. For At&t, type EXACTLY THIS, Caps and all:

APN: wap.cingular
Username: WAP.CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1

Choose from dropdown: US - AT&T

Click "Create Profile". Then Click "Install"..............You are done and it leaves an icon on your iphone to revisit.

You will see your custom setting now in Settings > General > Profile (APN Carrier Settings)

This is for T-Mobile if phone is unlocked. I have used this using a 3gs with my non prepaid T-Mobile account.

APN: epc.tmobile.com
Username: leave blank
Password: Leave blank

Choose from dropdown: (First one) US - T-Mobile

I hope this helps out those who choose to go this route.

How is data billed?

100mb for 19.99 a month. I am not a data hungry user, but for 3g use of email, gps, google maps, etc, this is sufficient for me. I have used about 20mb in a little over two weeks use.

Anyone else had success with these settings? Still using these on my iPhone 4 with great results.

How long have you had AT&T's prepaid SIM card?

Last July, I got a iPhone 4 from eBay and decided to try AT&T Prepaid on it. I got a AT&T Go phone from Walmart for $30. It came with the a cheap Nokia phone. Upon setting up the SIM card, i believe it linked the SIM card with the Nokia phone because it asked for the phone's MEI number. Then upon cutting and inserting the SIM into the iPhone4 i got some kinda of error message saying the SIM was not compatible with the phone. I then couldn't use the SIM back into the Nokia because it was now cut, LoL.

In any case... do you know of a similar prepaid service like AT&T and T-Mobile?

Also, is the $19.99 a month for the data required every month? In other words, one time i pay for the data then next few months i decide not to and then decide to go for the data??

Thanks!

Last edited:
@roadracer516: did you buy your iphone from Apple or from at&t? How did you activate the phone? did you just plug in the modified at&t sim card?
Im planning to do the same but I am just concerned on how the activation process for the phone works with the Go Phone.

hey everyone

A wireless service called H2O Wireless sparks my interest. They're formerly known as O2 Wireless and use AT&T's network service. I believe their SIM card will even "activate" (get past the 'Connect to iTunes') the iPhone!

H2O Wireless offers Unlimited Calls and Texts for $40 a month! Another plan even offers 30mb of data a month. But the plan that has my interest is their Minute plan because it starts at $10 for 90 days of service coverage! Granted, you'll be paying 14 cents a minute for calls and 5 cents to send/receive texts. The $10 gets you about 70 minutes of talk time or 200 texts. A $20 service plan is also available for 90 days providing 142 minutes of talk time or 400 texts.

Most of the time I'm around WiFi and office landlines so I've downloaded apps to make free texts and VOIP calls. The Pay As You Go Minute plan seems to fit my budget at the moment :)

to learn more, go to their website: h2owirelessnow.com

Just bought an H20 simcard from bestbuy ($9.99), cut it down to micro-size and have a functioning pre-paid iphone 4. I bought my phone off of ebay, it is NOT jailbroken or unlocked. Seems to be a good method for someone wanting a pre-paid phone plan with an iphone 4. The downside is no data plan with the "minute" or "day" plans. You have to pay the 49.99 to get MMS and data (only 50MB). I may try it for one month to see how it goes.

**UPDATE: I just tried to upgrade to the 49.99 plan to get data and found out I can't get it because my iphone 4 is NOT unlocked (maybe you all knew this and I had to find out the hard way). So, I will have to wait for an unlock procedure before I can get data to work.

Last edited:
Just bought an H20 simcard from bestbuy ($9.99), cut it down to micro-size and have a functioning pre-paid iphone 4. I bought my phone off of ebay, it is NOT jailbroken or unlocked. Seems to be a good method for someone wanting a pre-paid phone plan with an iphone 4. The downside is no data plan with the "minute" or "day" plans. You have to pay the 49.99 to get MMS and data (only 50MB). I may try it for one month to see how it goes.

**UPDATE: I just tried to upgrade to the 49.99 plan to get data and found out I can't get it because my iphone 4 is NOT unlocked (maybe you all knew this and I had to find out the hard way). So, I will have to wait for an unlock procedure before I can get data to work.
firekick3 with that $49.99 plan u said u didnt get the 50mbs of data cause the i phone 4 is not unlocked ,,but u never said does the picture messaging work an regular messaging please let me know thinkin of tryin this also tks

firekick3 with that $49.99 plan u said u didnt get the 50mbs of data cause the i phone 4 is not unlocked ,,but u never said does the picture messaging work an regular messaging please let me know thinkin of tryin this also tks

sorry for the late response...but the answer is no. If the phone is locked you can't get MMS or any data to work. text messages and phone calls only.