What's new

Password request for updates

itelephone

Reaction score
Hi! I am not sure as to how to disable password requests on updates from AppStore, but still require password input for new installations.
It’s for an iPad with an AppStore account that is different from the AppleId in Settings.

Disabling the password request is not possible, afaik. As you’ve purchased those apps with a different ID, which is not the iCloud ID used on that device, it will automatically ask for the password of the ID that was used to purchase/download the app.

Thanks anyway! My wife is now using the iPad so I created an iCloud account for her, but the AppStore is still on my account and can’t even switch to hers if we try (looks like it is not “verified” on iTunes, maybe because we haven’t added any credit card info for that new account so far). We could leave it as it is, as this iPad is never used to buy new apps, but then it asks for my password every time an app update is required.

It’s not necessary to add a payment method. An Apple/iCloud ID can be used without credit card.

You’ll have to verify the account. There are several ways to get this done.

IMG_7624.jpg

IMG_7626.jpg

IMG_7627.jpg

IMG_7628.jpg

IMG_7630.jpg

When we try to login to the AppStore using the new account, no code is sent. It’s sort of a loop, see the screenshots. The popups say this Apple Id was never used in the iTunes Store and must be verified, then they say an iTunes account must be created from the existing Apple Id, then again this Apple Id was never used in the iTunes Store, and so on and on.

Last edited:
If possible, sign in with her Apple ID on this site via browser:

Select the round icon at the top right (maybe with her photo). Then go to ”Manage Apple ID“.
310B393F-1408-4456-B612-39821377B7A0.jpeg

Make sure there’s a shipping address and edit the billing information. Set it to “None”, if possible.

In the App Store app, log in and out of her ID again. If necessary, restart the iPad .

Last edited:
It‘s in Payment Methods. When you open it, select “Manage payment method”, and you’ll get to the site where you can also add the address.

Still no joy.
I added a shipping address and copied it to billing. Payment method is None.
Logged out from App Store on iPad and logged out from the iPad itself, and restarted the device. Then logged in to the device and tried App Store login again, but it’s the same loop as before (only it’s all in English now, as if the App Store eventually “noticed” the device language).
Like I said, I suspect they want a credit card number or something like that.
Thanks anyway!

Last edited: