What's new

Password protection apps

ardchoille

Reaction score
I see a lot of people asking for apps that password protect folders and other apps. But how reliable are these password protection apps?

Does the password protection app encrypt the original folder or app and prevent access unless you have the password? If not, someone could simply jailbreak the phone, install iFile and access the entire filesystem, including the password-protected items. This would render the password protection app useless. This means your data isn't really protected if the phone is stolen.

If the password protection app does use encryption, which encryption algorithm is used? Strong encryption algorithms, such as blowfish, have never been broken whereas home-grown encryption algorithms are easy to crack unless the person who wrote the software truly understands encryption.

How exactly do these password protection apps work?

Last edited:
If you password protect your phone,you cannot sync or jailbreak it without unlocking it first.Which means the thief will have to restore it and losing all content with it? Having no phone lock is a deadly sin.I may be totally wrong?

Semel said:
If you password protect your phone,you cannot sync or jailbreak it without unlocking it first.Which means the thief will have to restore it and losing all content with it? Having no phone lock is a deadly sin.I may be totally wrong?

I'm talking about password protection apps that protect individual apps, photos and folders.

But, I agree with you, keeping the phone unlocked is a bad idea. You would not believe how many people simply don't do this and would rather rely on password protection apps.

Last edited:
hmmm i get you point you want and passwrod app for you application but why in the world you need to do this when you have and combination code on the iphone i mean it is quite impressive to save your privacy. well there are such apps i came through protecting your apps making blind etc etc

debradelay said:
hmmm i get you point you want and passwrod app for you application but why in the world you need to do this when you have and combination code on the iphone i mean it is quite impressive to save your privacy. well there are such apps i came through protecting your apps making blind etc etc

Keep in mind that there are people who simply will not use the phone lock feature no matter how insistent you are. I agree, it's a great feature, but it's useless if people instead rely in other things such as password protection apps.

I'm suspicious that password protection apps are nothing more than "snake oil". The purpose of this thread is to find out exactly how they work.

Well, I also see this app on Apple store but I didn't installed it as I am confirming about you guys that it is good for protection?

I dont installed this apps on iPhone.it is apple apps it really helpful for protecting your apps.As per opinion you have to use this apps.

A they do is store things...in this case...passwords.

Nothing more, nothing less.

zig9449 said:
A they do is store things...in this case...passwords.

Nothing more, nothing less.

That's what I thought.

I am currently using the iPhone 4 and so many applications used in my iPhone 4 but I am looking password protect application for my iPhone 4. I don't know today which is best password protect application available in the market? So please would you tell me which is best password protect application?

jaidonmitchell said:
I am currently using the iPhone 4 and so many applications used in my iPhone 4 but I am looking password protect application for my iPhone 4. I don't know today which is best password protect application available in the market? So please would you tell me which is best password protect application?

Are you jailbroken?

If you're jailbroken there is an app in cydia called idiscrete jb and it allows you to put apps, photos, videos and even texts in your private vault. You have to set a touch sequence that you then have to use to gain access to this app. You can even hide it behind one of your other apps!
I hope this answers your question.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk