What's new

Outlook Contacts Sorting

DaveM

Reaction score
I sync Outlook to my iPhone 4 contacts (no jailbreak). I believe I understand the Sort Order and Display Order options in Settings, and most sort the way that I want them to. However, I have a select few that just don't seem to sort right (sort by first name instead of last). Checking them in Outlook, the fields are set up exactly the same as the ones that do sort correctly. I can find no rhyme or reason why one sorts correctly but another does not.

Can anyone help with any reasons for this, or point me to something that might explain it?

your contacts in the phone, is it as first name, last name order?

secondly, the contacts in outlook, is it sorted by 'name' or 'file as'

if the later, try opening each contact and saving those names in 'the save as' in the right order.

i once faced the same wid a blackberry, n this was how i resolved the sort issue

your contacts in the phone, is it as first name, last name order?

Sort Order: Last, First
Display Order: First, Last

secondly, the contacts in outlook, is it sorted by 'name' or 'file as'

Not sure what you're asking. How can I tell?

if the later, try opening each contact and saving those names in 'the save as' in the right order.

Are you saying to save each contact individually using Save As? I don't understand. If so, what file type do I use? Do you mean change the file name when using "Save As" to reflect the way that I want it to display, such as saving the contact file as "John Smith" will cause it to display differently than saving it as Smith John?

Both Sort and Display order "First ,Last"

The attached pic should help u

Attachments

• $contacts screen.jpg
    $contacts screen.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 503
File As is: Last, First but it doesn't seem to make any difference how I do it. My contacts are all put in the same way, but some sort correctly and some don't.

As for the sort order in the iPhone settings, if I don't use the settings as from above, things get really wacky and I don't even come close to the desired results.

Well, thanks for the reply anyway Navjon. I appreciate your responses. One thing that I did try was to make the changes manually in the phone. They do stay that way even after a sync, so that's a good thing. Still have no idea why they don't come in right to begin with. Maybe I'll start looking for a good substitute contact manager that will sync properly with Outlook.

Late to the party here, but I had a similar issue and noticed that the contacts that would not sort properly all had a Company Name in their Outlook listing. When I removed that, they began to sort properly.