What's new

Only wifi no 3G

Athea

Reaction score
Hi:)

I got a bit of a problem. My iPhone seem to connect me to the 3G network instead of only wifi. Got my bill today and it wasn't pleasant. Anyone know how to make the phone ask me before connecting me to anything other than primary wifi? Especially my carriers net?
Found one option but then I am no longer able to receive MMS either.

Can anyone help me out please??

Settings> General> Network> Cellular Data and/or 3G Data.

It depends on what type of iPhone you have and what iOS it is on. Either way, you can turn off 3G data by going to Settings> General> Network

As I said, the toggles that will be located in that panel depends on the model iPhone you have and the iOS it is on.

If you were jailbroken, you could simply pull down notification center, and toggle on/off wifi, 3G data with ease in only the time it takes to pull down NC, and tap a toggle.

You should see the 3 bar wifi signal when you are on wifi next to your carrier name. Always be aware of whether or not it is 3G or wifi icon next to the carrier.

You can also make it go to wifi by Settings>Wifi. Make sure Wifi is toggled ON. Then choose a network if it is available. If you are using a network regularly, your phone should find it each time. If it isn't you may want to reset the network settings. You can also toggle on "Ask to join Networks".

I noticed only a couple times that my iPhone was using 3G data even tho the icon in the status bar said it was using WiFi.......Weird. I knew this because in the middle of a download my status abr icon said WiFi, but when I pulled down notification center and toggled 3G data off, the download stopped......It only happend to me a couple times, but from then on, I made sure that I toggled 3G/Cellular Data off when I wanted to use the WiFi network. Perhaps it was just a fluke.idk.