What's new

Only iPhone 4S and iPad 3 Will Be Able to Run FaceTime over 3G

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
FaceTime_over_LTE.png

AppleInsider writes today that one of the exciting new features of iOS 6 as announced by Apple at its WWDC on Monday, FaceTime over 3G, will only be possible on either the iPhone 4S or the newest version of the iPad. So, if you’ve “only” got an iPhone 4, or iPad 2 (the original iPad will not run iOS 6 at all), you’ll still only be able to use FaceTime with a Wi-Fi connection. The reason for this is that FaceTime over 3G requires Apple’s A5 chip in order to operate, which currently only the iPhone 4S and the new iPad have. As AppleInsider notes, this is just one of several new features of iOS 6, including turn-by-turn navigation and Flyover in the Maps app, that will only be available on the very latest versions of Apple’s three main iOS devices.

Source: FaceTime over 3G with iOS 6 limited to iPhone 4S, iPad 3

What a crock of donkey dong this is as we all know iphone 4 works awesome with My3g for using facetime over 3g.

More of apple raping us to get us to by the latest and greatest from them.

Yup .
I'm finding Apple very hard work these daze.
The freedom of Android and the S3 is starting to appeal to me.
I could probably even live with pulling the battery now and then.
If they don't bring out something really special when I upgrade end of year , I may be for the off.
Cos after all it is possible to break the chain , and maybe return one day.
Who knows we'll see.

Sent from iPhone

What a bunch of BS. Apple is becoming a lot less appealing to me. I'm waiting for the next iphone to be released...if it does'nt have a larger screen and 4g lte capabilty then I'm jumping ship.

Yup, what they are selling, I aint buying! The iPhone 4 has plenty of processing power to do facetime.
This is an attempt to get people to upgrade.
I may upgrade because my 4 is getting old, I may continue running Jailbroken and continue using facetime on my iPhone 4, or I may jump to Android.

What a bunch of BS. Apple is becoming a lot less appealing to me. I'm waiting for the next iphone to be released...if it does'nt have a larger screen and 4g lte capabilty then I'm jumping ship.

Same here. I have sprint but if the next iPhone doesn't have 4g capabilities on all carriers I'm gonna switch back to android. 3G is so slow where I live. My mom has a 4g phone and I get so jealous lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Oh, I'm disappointed to hear this. Like the posters before me have said, we all know FaceTime works just fine over 3G with an iPhone 4...
I figured Apple leaving out the maps feature would be enough...

Oh, I'm disappointed to hear this. Like the posters before me have said, we all know FaceTime works just fine over 3G with an iPhone 4...
I figured Apple leaving out the maps feature would be enough...

yeah... I was also but I dont think I am even going to bother upgrading my iphone 4 to ios 6 now and just hope that there is a new iphone released with ios 6 in the fall, I have a feeling the f1 wont work very well on the ip4 as in lag like crazy maybe and the top main features as expected are not even going to be on there it just means any one upgrading to ios 6 on the ip4 will still need to jailbreak to get those features

Unleashed said:
yeah... I was also but I dont think I am even going to bother upgrading my iphone 4 to ios 6 now and just hope that there is a new iphone released with ios 6 in the fall, I have a feeling the f1 wont work very well on the ip4 as in lag like crazy maybe and the top main features as expected are not even going to be on there it just means any one upgrading to ios 6 on the ip4 will still need to jailbreak to get those features

Agreed, although I'm almost certain Apple will release the new firmware with new hardware.
The iPhone 4 won't be fun at all on iOS 6. The thing that kills me, is the fact that they're giving the 4S the new maps.
They refused to let the 4 have Siri. I don't see why they didn't hold that feature back? Don't get me wrong! I'm happy for the people with a 4S, but I still believe the 4 could use Siri and the maps app.
Looks like I'll definitely be upgrading this fall!

/end rant

Agreed, although I'm almost certain Apple will release the new firmware with new hardware.
The iPhone 4 won't be fun at all on iOS 6. The thing that kills me, is the fact that they're giving the 4S the new maps.
They refused to let the 4 have Siri. I don't see why they didn't hold that feature back? Don't get me wrong! I'm happy for the people with a 4S, but I still believe the 4 could use Siri and the maps app.
Looks like I'll definitely be upgrading this fall!

/end rant

For sure but its good that apple got rid of google maps and added TomTom powered turn by turn maps, afaik apple says the iphone 4 hardware could not handle these features that they hold back and they have always used this excuse even though on jailbreak they work very well so its probably more just to get users to upgrade phones with some of the features they hold back, I dont know about siri as I never tried to add it to my phone but I wil say that some times apple are right. For example apple never wanted the iphone 3G to have ios 4 and look how badly that turned out when they decided to add it due to complaints! it lagged so badly it became un usable

My iPhone 4 has always been able to FaceTime over 3G...as well as have turn by turn voice navigation within the Maps.app. :)

No bummer to me.

My iPhone 4 has always been able to FaceTime over 3G...as well as have turn by turn voice navigation within the Maps.app. :)

No bummer to me.

that is true, but it is nice to be able to do this all with a stock ipsw with out relying on jailbreaks

All I can say is that the new features being available only to the newer iDevices is planned obsolescence by Apple. I'm lucky to have a 4S and a new pad but probably won't be so lucky when subsequent iOS 7 and above come out. Just a matter of time though. :/

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF.net

All I can say is that the new features being available only to the newer iDevices is planned obsolescence by Apple. I'm lucky to have a 4S and a new pad but probably won't be so lucky when subsequent iOS 7 and above come out. Just a matter of time though. :/

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF.net

well this is the 3rd major ios update for the iphone 4 so ios 7 will be perfectly fine on the 4S.. its ios 8 that probably will hold back features from the 4S.. so dont expect it to happen with every new major update, the 4 had all the 4.XX and 5.XX updates. That gives us two years to buy a new device or just simply not care that if it has none of these features that have been available on jailbreak's cydia for some time