What's new

Odd behaviour of location Arrow

Hungryghost

Reaction score
Since I updated to 5.0.1 I have noticed that when I have location services switched on the little arrow is on my status bar all the time, unlike previously when it would only appear if location services were being accessed by an app. Does this mean that the GPS is being used all the time? Obviously this will cause battery issues. Or does it just indicate that location services are switched on?

Okay I found out what it was, I have location reminders switched on . So does this mean to use location reminders, I have to have the GPS switched on all the time? Not too useful if that's the case.

yes location have to be on if you are using reminder with location services. I suggest you take a look at settings> location services/ turn off stuff you do not want to share your location with, then go to setting> location services> system services/ and turn off stuff you do not know or need to be on. As a matter of fact, the location service is one great battery eater.

I just got another iPhone the other day and this is my first experience with ios 5. I was wondering why they would include something like this when its going to manhandle people's batteries. It's an amazing idea but the gps part wasn't thought out very well.

It's worth going to Settings>Location Services>System Services and disabling Setting Time Zone. I believe there is a bug that causes this to access location services too often and drains your battery.

It's worth going to Settings>Location Services>System Services and disabling Setting Time Zone. I believe there is a bug that causes this to access location services too often and drains your battery.
Yes. The day I turned off that setting and and most others in that window like "diagnostics" my battery life improved by 35% or more.