What's new

No SIM detected, please help

Oleemolee

Reaction score
Hello, my girlfriend has bought her daughter an iPhone 5c off Amazon for a Christmas present. It 100% said SIM free and he had really good feedback so it doesn't look like a scam.

It had arrived and we tried a bt SIM in it that she had got separately as it's cheap.
However all it says is no SIM and it won't let you activate the phone until a SIM is in.

We have now tried, bt, 3, O2, gift gaff and Tesco mobile pay as you go Sims but none of hem work either, it just says the same thing that there is no SIM, so it doesn't work.

I've tried restoring and updating the phone through itunes with the phone in recovery mode but this has made no difference.

I'm running out of ideas now, I tried to see if I could jailbreak it then unlock it but I couldn't see a jailbreak for 10.3.3 which is hat it should be on now after the restore and update.

We have contacted the seller on Amazon to see what he says but as it's Christmas Eve we haven't had a reply. I've even paid 2.99 for some shifty looking site to tell us if it's locked and who to but again no reply.

I'm thinking the only thing that makes sense to me is that it's locked to a network we haven't tried. I could be totally wrong though as I haven't used iPhones much at all and could be missing something really simple.

If anyone could help you have no idea how much it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

If the iPhone was locked to a particular cellular carrier it would say that the SIM was not supported if you put in a SIM card from another carrier. What is likely in your case is that the SIM card reader on the iPhone is defective as it's not able to read any SIM cards. It looks like the seller sold you a defective iPhone. A Diagnostic at an Apple Store Genius Bar would be able to confirm if this is so. If your iPhone is indeed defective, contact the seller to inform him and ask for a refund.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply it's very appreciated.

I'm in the UK not sure if we have apple genius bars here but I will try to get it looked at straight after Christmas.

Thank you again.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply it's very appreciated.

I'm in the UK not sure if we have apple genius bars here but I will try to get it looked at straight after Christmas.

Thank you again.
You're welcome. Every Apple Store has a Genius Bar.

I'll have to find the nearest one to us, it's just a shame she's got no phone tomorrow but she's got plenty of other presents.

Thanks again.