What's new

No Power button. How do I downgrade?

brettjhilton

Reaction score
So before everyone starts jumping at this and telling me to just create a IPSW that allows me to enter DFU mode, please continue reading- its trickier than that :(

After hours of messing around, I was finally able to get my iPhone 4 to go into Pwned DFU using redsnow, use a stitched ipsw created with Tiny Umbrella, and accept the downgrade. With one little (although massive) problem. When it finishes, I get the iTunes error (-1). Normally, all I would need to do at this point is use my power and home button to go into DFU and I would be DONE. But I cant. And I cannot use a different IPSW to go into DFU because that defeats the whole purpose. I also cannot use the recovery fix in Redsnow or Tiny Umbrella because i need to be in DFU in the first place to do so.

What the hell do I do? PLLLEEEEEASSSSE SAVE ME!!!!

I have a feeling my only way out is to know how to do the downgrade without getting the error (-1). Do I need to tweak my hosts file to do this? On a side note, why does iTunes only work from my work network and not from home to restore my phone. Where does it specify an IP or something that locks me out?

Thank you all so much for your help. I really really appreciate anyone who reads this and takes the time to think about it, and even more if someone helps, and even MORE if someone gets it to work!!!

with error -1 just use redsn0ws "Recovery Fix" to fix error

The IP rejection might be from your host file. Check to see if the Apple GS host is blocked in your host at home. Or, check to see if "Set host to Cydia" is checked or unchecked as that might be a possible reason.

with error -1 just use redsn0ws "Recovery Fix" to fix error

I appreciate the quick reply, but as I said, I dont have a power button. To use the "Recovery Fix" you must go into DFU mode. This loops back to my original problem.

The IP rejection might be from your host file. Check to see if the Apple GS host is blocked in your host at home. Or, check to see if "Set host to Cydia" is checked or unchecked as that might be a possible reason.

The "set host to Cydia" box in TU is greyed out and I cant change it. It is unchecked.

When you say "checK" to see if the apple gs is blocked, what should it say if it is? Im a bit of a noob. Thanks.

That's why you built the DFU IPSW file to enter DFU. Use iTunes to restore to DFU ipsw then once in DFU run redsn0w.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why you built the DFU IPSW file to enter DFU. Use iTunes to restore to DFU ipsw then once in DFU run redsn0w.

haha yes, I know. But once im in DFU, and run Redsn0w, I have to reinstall the downgrade, which brings be right back to the recovery lock again at the end....

My mistake... Do the downgrade... Get the error(-1).... Fix the error as outlined above. Goodnight and good luck

btw, I also found RecBoot, and tried to use it to exit recovery mode. It resets the phone, but reenters recovery mode right away.

i KNOW someone out there knows how to get me out of this mess. Please if you know this stuff well, think hard for me. I would appreciate it so much

Where did everyone go?

There are 200 tools for getting into recovery, out of recovery, recovery loop fix, etc. How the hell is there seriously nothing that can get us into DFU!?!?!? (or is there?)

Is there anyone who can tell me how to physically open and put the phone into DFU? I have torn out the power button so it would be tough....

You can create an IPSW which you've already done. Try "re-downgrading" with another PC. I know for a fact that -1 error is based on system and terminal. I believe there was a way to put a device into DFU but it requires SSH on your device. Since your device hit this brick wall AFTER attempting to downgrade, you won't have SSH on there. However, I believe there's also a way to put it into DFU using a .jar extension file. I think I have it on my laptop, which is back at home at the moment. I'll see if I can manually find it again or get my brother to turn on my laptop so I can remote access it.

haha yes, I know. But once im in DFU, and run Redsn0w, I have to reinstall the downgrade, which brings be right back to the recovery lock again at the end....

FYI- Once the downgrade is done(regardless of error message)...running the DFU.ipsw or redsn0w again DOES NOT require you to reinstall the "downgrade"....

Using iTunes to restore with DFU.ipsw does NOT wipe the iPhone or mess with the firmware...all it does is PUT THE DEVICE INTO DFU MODE....NOTHING MORE.

I have done the downgrade from 6.0 to 5.1.1 and had to restore to 5.1.1 a few times now...every time I have an error-1, using only redsn0ws "Recovery Fix" has fixed the problem...

FYI- Once the downgrade is done(regardless of error message)...running the DFU.ipsw or redsn0w again DOES NOT require you to reinstall the "downgrade"....

Using iTunes to restore with DFU.ipsw does NOT wipe the iPhone or mess with the firmware...all it does is PUT THE DEVICE INTO DFU MODE....NOTHING MORE.

I have done the downgrade from 6.0 to 5.1.1 and had to restore to 5.1.1 a few times now...every time I have an error-1, using only redsn0ws "Recovery Fix" has fixed the problem...

So you are saying: Go into Pwned DFU, restore the stitched ipsw, get the error -1, restore with the dfu.ipsw, use the recovery fix, and it should boot fine?

I dont quite understand though, my dfu.ipsw goes through the entire install process, restores firmware, and then at the very end, right before booting, stays in DFU mode. Is my DFU.ipsw not right?