What's new

No iphone 4 flip/clamshells types?

KnightInExile

Reaction score
Curious, I've noticed that the iphone 4 (as well as all iphones I see today) does not come in flip/clamshell types. Also, I am seeing less and less of them in regards to non-iphone types as well. I would imagine that flip/clamshells offers better protection to the buttons and screen, whereas, the iphones are a one-piece item and can easily get damaged.

Why are the flip/clamshell models declining in popularity? Is it because having two LCD screens cuts on battery life? Or is it because the hinges eventually wears out and breaks apart due to overuse? Or is it something else entirely? Is Apple considering releasing a flip/clamshell model in the near future?

I doubt the major players in the smartphone world will change from the wide candy bar design. More screen space available. Imagine a Droid X in a clamshell. No way! Also, the public seems perfectly satisfied with the current designs.

I doubt the major players in the smartphone world will change from the wide candy bar design. More screen space available. Imagine a Droid X in a clamshell. No way! Also, the public seems perfectly satisfied with the current designs.

I kind of figured that a clamshell model would indeed cramp up screen space. :) But do you think the main reason why iphones don't have clamshells is because it is more durable? Do iphones have a protective covering on them, since they do not have clamshells for protection?

Last edited: