What's new

Next iPhone Will be iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 Will Come in Spring 2012

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone_5_image.JPG

9to5 Mac reports today that according to Macotakara, the next iPhone will be an iPhone 4S, but a completely revamped iPhone 5 will be following hot on its heels in spring 2012. Macotakara’s sources say that the iPhone 4S, due to be launched in September 2011, will have an ARM Cortex-A9 and an 8 megapixel camera, as has previously been reported by other sources as well. The ARM Cortex-A9 is the CPU base for the A5 processor inside the iPad 2. The sources cannot yet confirm if the iPhone 4S’s chip will be dual core like the iPad 2 chip.

Another rumour that the report appears to confirm is that of the next iPhone being dual-mode, with support for both CDMA and GSM networks. It also says that, somewhat surprisingly, the iPhone 4S will have an integrated SIM card system, meaning that you won’t be able to replace the SIM card yourself.

Finally, Macotakara says that the completely redesigned iPhone 5 will not be arriving until Spring 2012.

Source: iPhone 4S features A5, 8MP camera, integrated SIM; iPhone 5 in spring 2012? | 9 to 5 Mac

While there IS a single-core version of the Cortex A9, I would tend to think that Apple would use a SOC they already have in their lineup (A5). It wouldn't be cost-effective to design a single-core version just to use in an interim device refresh. It would be less expensive to simply use the existing A5.

Another rumour that the report appears to confirm is that of the next iPhone being dual-mode, with support for both CDMA and GSM networks. It also says that, somewhat surprisingly, the iPhone 4S will have an integrated SIM card system, meaning that you won’t be able to replace the SIM card yourself.

1) VZW stated the dual network. So it isn't a rumor.
2) Apple has stated E-Sim will not be in the next iPhone.

So no rumors there.

And I am really glad to see other sites are finally catching up with my predictions for the iPhone 4S.

I would almost expect a 4S and then a follow up with a 5. Though I tend to think the 5 won't hit until next summer, not next spring. But since the Verizon iPhone release, Apple seems to be mixing it up from their old release schedules. Also, I would give some credence to speculation that the disasters in Asia have affected their supply and production schedules.

Definitely curious to see what they have up their sleeves.

Something is fishy in the apple yard i say,with all those steps back releasing iphone5,BUT since iphone 4 goes so well i ask myself what is the point yet for it,none went over iphone4 so far ?