What's new

Next iPhone Said to be 18% Thinner

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
7474-iphone-5-cases-july.JPG

According to a report on AppleInsider today, the next iPhone will not just have an approximately 30% bigger screen, it will also be around 18% thinner than the iPhone 4S. The story comes from Taiwanese site Apple.pro, which was in turn reporting on a story from the print edition of the Chinese language Apple Daily, which took precise measurements of one of the leaked iPhone 5 (or said to be) enclosures. On measuring the enclosures, AppleDaily found that the phone is 58.47mm wide, 123.83mm long, and 7.6mm thick, making it around 18% thinner than the iPhone 4S, which is 9.3mm thick. AppleInsider writes that Apple has been able to design a thinner phone by making various tweaks, such as making it longer, thus creating more room inside, moving the headphone jack to the bottom of the phone, using a nano-SIM tray instead of a Micro-SIM tray (freeing up 40% more space), and using the smaller dock connector. Also, AppleInsider notes that some of the next iPhone’s components are now able to be smaller than previously, even than a year ago, because of rapid industry advancements.

Source: Apple's new iPhone expected to be 18% thinner than iPhone 4S

What about a " manly" phone for us? No little " dainty" phones!...

I'll never upgrade to a phone that has the headphone jack on the bottom. I absolutely hate that design decision.

Yeah I agree, headphone jack on the bottom makes no sense to me

Tapatalk'd from my iPhone 4s

I can't see the point considering most people have their phone jammed it their pocket.

For me it will be OK, as my phone usually hangs from my CB mike cable using the belt clip of the Otterbox, so the charger cable and link to the truck AUX socket will head in the same direction.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Isn't the headphone jack on an iPod Touch... on the bottom? I'm really not seeing the issue w/ having it there. What difference does it make if you're phone is rightside up or upside down in your pocket? The only true disadvantage to the port placement on the bottom is... when you're working out on a treadmill or such and place the iPhone on the equipment. Youll have to lay it on it's side... or upside down.

Isn't the headphone jack on an iPod Touch... on the bottom? I'm really not seeing the issue w/ having it there. What difference does it make if you're phone is rightside up or upside down in your pocket? The only true disadvantage to the port placement on the bottom is... when you're working out on a treadmill or such and place the iPhone on the equipment. Youll have to lay it on it's side... or upside down.

Not sure about the touch, I use the classic

It's an issue for me because I use an otterbox case and holster that I clip to the inside of my pocket

Tapatalk'd from my iPhone 4s

Yep... here's the 3rd & 4th gens side by side. Both have the headphone jack on the bottom.
R2JoQVcWYiNKhp2e.medium

Oscar_D_Grouch said:
I'll never upgrade to a phone that has the headphone jack on the bottom. I absolutely hate that design decision.

I do too. Good thing I can't upgrade even if I wanted to! I actually like the iPhone's thickness.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

I don't care where they put the headphone jack, but I wish companies would get off this "thinnest phone" kick. How about making the phone a bit thicker and using that space for a meatier battery?

I definitely agree, I couldn't give a rat's furry arse about thinness, given that I plunked down $150 for one of the first Lunatik Taktik cases, and have been keeping my phone in either a Griffin Survivor or a Ballistic Hardcore until it ships out.

I'm still not understanding why it matters where the headphone port is. Can someone shed some light please?

cherlloydfan1 said:
Because then you have to hang your iPhone upside down in your pocket
Hmmmmm... it's not a glass of water or something similar. What difference does it make having your iPhone in your pocket upside down? Mine is always in my pocket that way... so when I retrieve it... it's already positioned properly in my hand.