What's new

Newer than newbie needs some help

jdc0712

Reaction score
I'm appealing to the pity of the community!

I'm trying to figure out how to make the iphone appear as a disk drive when plugged in through the USB. The story is that my friend's daughter formatted her phone and she lost her pictures. I'm currently studying computer forensics (only halfway through associates, so I'm still learning a lot) and I have a forensics program that recovers deleted files, but it only recognizes drives. Plugging the iphone into my computer running Vista (ugh) shows it only as a portable device, not a drive. I tried going through the disk manager to assign a drive letter but it didn't appear in there either, at all. I know there are third party softwares available that will make your phone act like a disk drive, but I'm not sure if those will allow a different program to access the phone as a drive.

I just joined this forum so I could search for an answer and couldn't find anything that related specifically to this problem. I am completely unfamiliar with Apple products so I can't even begin to know what to do here. I've used my forensic program for Windows products just fine, but this iphone is the first problem I've run into while using it.

I would seriously appreciate any advice, not only for my friend who would like her pictures back but as a student too who likes and needs to learn new things.

I'm appealing to the pity of the community!

I'm trying to figure out how to make the iphone appear as a disk drive when plugged in through the USB. The story is that my friend's daughter formatted her phone and she lost her pictures. I'm currently studying computer forensics (only halfway through associates, so I'm still learning a lot) and I have a forensics program that recovers deleted files, but it only recognizes drives. Plugging the iphone into my computer running Vista (ugh) shows it only as a portable device, not a drive. I tried going through the disk manager to assign a drive letter but it didn't appear in there either, at all. I know there are third party softwares available that will make your phone act like a disk drive, but I'm not sure if those will allow a different program to access the phone as a drive.

I just joined this forum so I could search for an answer and couldn't find anything that related specifically to this problem. I am completely unfamiliar with Apple products so I can't even begin to know what to do here. I've used my forensic program for Windows products just fine, but this iphone is the first problem I've run into while using it.

I would seriously appreciate any advice, not only for my friend who would like her pictures back but as a student too who likes and needs to learn new things.

All you need is i-FunBox.

You can drag and drop files rite to the "General Storage" tab
or just rite in "Raw File System".

Easy. Nothing else needed.

I store entire programs in my iPhones, like jailbreak tools, and even IPSW's.

If you want to access files through your device (Not all files can be viewed in the phone) the you need iFile, which is only available through Cydia on a jailbroken iDevice.

The Gerneral Strorage is located in /var.mobile/Media/general_storage

Last edited: