What's new

Newbie-interested in tethering

bethers98

Reaction score
Hi, I'm brand new to all of this. Got my iPhone4 version 4.2.1 w. firmware 03.10.01 back in Oct and got a new Macbook Pro for X-mas. Trying to educate myself on 'tethering' and must admit it's very confusing after looking at multiple sites. Wondering if I decide to "jailbreak" the phone (not even sure that's an option for my version) if I can delete any evidence of it should I require any Apple help? I purchased Applecare and not sure if having a jailbroken phone would affect that? I do think it's ridiculous that I pay for 5G worth of data a month and don't even come close to using that much and now I must consider another $20/mo. to tether my phone to my mac?! That's just crazy to me. Any comments?

iPhone 4, 4.2.1, with 03.10.01 is possible to JB. You can restore your iPhone if anything goes wrong and Apple won't be able to see that you did anything with the phone in regards to JB.

You are right, it is very confusing as there are loads of posts and sites on the net, and a lot of bogus sites as well.

There is a tethered and untethered version available, but untethered is in beta still. Tethered means if you reboot your phone, or the phone loses battery and restarts, you'll need to plug it into a computer to allow it to boot back up again.

Hello,

So, even if i jb my phone, and wud like to go back to factory condition, I can still do it? and it doesn't void the Apple warranty?

Thanks for the answers...

It wont void your warranty. If you dont like, or for whatever reason want to go back to an un-jailbreak, you can just do a restore in itunes.

To be safe, do a full sync and a backup in itunes before jailbreaking.

Have fun!!