What's new

newbie here

mIphone2012

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new member with first iphone. Its an iphone 4 i love it so far! I do also have a question, i tried to search but i don't have an exact answer. I have a word document for my job basically its just daily sheets i have to fill out and i know there is "documents to go" app thats for documents but i need to know if i can use the file thats on my laptop and get it into my iphone and then be able to fill out those sheets with that app??? I would do this on a daily basis and then email it! Is this possible with that app or any others?? Thanks

Quick office can do this but you connect to your pc via wifi to transfer files.

You also have the function to email. It does excel as well but it's only basic.

mIphone2012 said:
Hello everyone, new member with first iphone. Its an iphone 4 i love it so far! I do also have a question, i tried to search but i don't have an exact answer. I have a word document for my job basically its just daily sheets i have to fill out and i know there is "documents to go" app thats for documents but i need to know if i can use the file thats on my laptop and get it into my iphone and then be able to fill out those sheets with that app??? I would do this on a daily basis and then email it! Is this possible with that app or any others?? Thanks

For documents I use an app called Dropbox and an app called Plain Text. You have to have a Dropbox account but it's free and totally worth it. 2GB of free space. Which is pretty good. Us you can buy more.

All ya have to do is download the Dropbox plug for your desktop. You can simply drag and drop your files on your lap top to your Dropbox folder and once it's in there you can access these files in the Dropbox app on your iPhone.

The only use of the Plain Text app is simply to edit the text files. I like it. And I also find it very convenient.

On another note you can use your phone as a USB flash drive. You do this with a desktop application called "i-FunBox". It is truly amazing and makes the transfers through USB instead of wifi (which is much better than anything that uses wifi for transfers). There are a few select folders in your phones root file system where you can store all kinds of stuff. I even have entire programs stored in my iPhones file system. However the only way to access these files on your phone is with an app you can only get from Cydia. It's called iFile. After you get the jist of using iFile and iFunbox together it gets pretty self explanatory. Lately I have only been relying on iFunBox to transfer files, programs, docs, and basically anything. You can also edit text and document files with iFile too. iFile is truly at the very top of the list of "most important jailbreak applications". It truly is.

Last edited:
For documents I use an app called Dropbox and an app called Plain Text. You have to have a Dropbox account but it's free and totally worth it. 2GB of free space. Which is pretty good. Us you can buy more.

All ya have to do is download the Dropbox plug for your desktop. You can simply drag and drop your files on your lap top to your Dropbox folder and once it's in there you can access these files in the Dropbox app on your iPhone.

The only use of the Plain Text app is simply to edit the text files. I like it. And I also find it very convenient.

On another note you can use your phone as a USB flash drive. You do this with a desktop application called "i-FunBox". It is truly amazing and makes the transfers through USB instead of wifi (which is much better than anything that uses wifi for transfers). There are a few select folders in your phones root file system where you can store all kinds of stuff. I even have entire programs stored in my iPhones file system. However the only way to access these files on your phone is with an app you can only get from Cydia. It's called iFile. After you get the jist of using iFile and iFunbox together it gets pretty self explanatory. Lately I have only been relying on iFunBox to transfer files, programs, docs, and basically anything. You can also edit text and document files with iFile too. iFile is truly at the very top of the list of "most important jailbreak applications". It truly is.

Hey thanks for the info. However i do have a dropbox account and the app on the phone. I downloaded the plain text app but how could i get the file in there from dropbox?? I apologize some of you guys might laugh i'm just so new at this!!! I'm trying to do this simple, not sure if i want to get into jailbreaking the phone and all that!! Thanks

mIphone2012 said:
Hey thanks for the info. However i do have a dropbox account and the app on the phone. I downloaded the plain text app but how could i get the file in there from dropbox?? I apologize some of you guys might laugh i'm just so new at this!!! I'm trying to do this simple, not sure if i want to get into jailbreaking the phone and all that!! Thanks

It's not hard at all.lol. And no none will laugh at ya man.....we all been there. Ya gotta start some where. And using Plain tex w/ Dropbox is kinda wired. First, open the Plain Text app, then tap settings and link it to your Dropbox account. As soon as Plain Text is linked......open the Dropbox app and a folder will appear creatively called "Plain text". Now whatever you drop in this folder, will in turn appear in the plain Text app, and when you edit anything you have saved from within the Plain Text app, it gets saved in drop in also.

But I personally quit using Dropbox for doc transfers. I basically use dropbox to save my photos (cuz Photo stream sucks.lol) and to keep certain dev files and themes so try can be downloaded by anyone who may want them via a public link. For example I made a theme that replaces the normal "blue" UI popup image that is used for alert (signing in, message alert, etc) with a black shiny UI popup that looks just like the one ya see on the lock screen when you get "slide to open" notifications. If someone wants to Download my theme, I just go to that file in the Dropbox folder, right click, copy public link, give them the link and they can just paste it into there browser and the download starts w/o even opening another tab.
Do you have am iPhone 4 or and iPhone 4S?

I got the iPhone 4 kind of bought it unexpected didn't want to spend a lot!

Alright so in other word I can drop any file into the plain text folder on my laptop? If I already have the file in Dropbox but in a different folder can I move it into the plain text folder but doing all that on the phone?

Ok i figured it out up to a point. I have the plain text folder in my dropbox and i dropped the file into that folder, however when i open the plain text app my file is not showing up in there??? Little more help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for all the help so far!!!

G'day & welcome to the forum!!!! :)