What's new

New user pass code help

Kodivet

Reaction score
I recently purchased the iPhone 7 as an upgrade. I am not familiar with Apple products being a Microsoft user since the days of DOS..(forgive me). At first it was no problem signing in with my 4-digit pass code. The day before yesterday I fired the phone up and suddenly it wanted a 6 digit code for no apparent reason. I did the bonehead thing out of frustration and disable the phone...stop laughing....now the problem has become the fact that the phone is not synched with iTunes. Therefore my attempts to recover the phone are also thwarted due to the absence of, you guessed it, the same 6 digit pass code. I cannot return to factory spec and now I am totally stymied....Now what?????

I recently purchased the iPhone 7 as an upgrade. I am not familiar with Apple products being a Microsoft user since the days of DOS..(forgive me). At first it was no problem signing in with my 4-digit pass code. The day before yesterday I fired the phone up and suddenly it wanted a 6 digit code for no apparent reason. I did the bonehead thing out of frustration and disable the phone...stop laughing....now the problem has become the fact that the phone is not synched with iTunes. Therefore my attempts to recover the phone are also thwarted due to the absence of, you guessed it, the same 6 digit pass code. I cannot return to factory spec and now I am totally stymied....Now what?????
You'll have to download the latest version of iTunes to your computer and connect your iPhone. Once in iTunes you can select to restore your iPhone. This will erase it and install a fresh copy of the latest version of iOS. At that point you'll be offered the choice of setting it up from a previous backup or as a new iPhone. Choose to set it up as a new iPhone as a backup would still have that password. After the iPhone us up and running, you can choose a new passcode. Any previous apps or iTunes purchases can be re-downloaded to your iPhone at no extra charge.

If you can't remember the passcode you will need to restore the phone using recovery mode. Here's how -
Connect your iOS device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
While your device is connected, force restart it:
On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.

When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Restore.

iTunes will download software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.

Wait for the process to finish. Then you can set up and use your device.

If you can't remember the passcode you will need to restore the phone using recovery mode. Here's how -
Connect your iOS device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
While your device is connected, force restart it:
On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.

When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Restore.

iTunes will download software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.

Wait for the process to finish. Then you can set up and use your device.
I thank you for your input. Right now my main problem is actually downloading and installing iTunes on my Windows 10 pc. It will stall withing 5mgb of finishing with a network problem failure....I have attempted to do this 7 times from different sites to no avail, they all hang....it's a catch 22..

Could you take it to an Apple Store or reseller?

I thank you for your input. Right now my main problem is actually downloading and installing iTunes on my Windows 10 pc. It will stall withing 5mgb of finishing with a network problem failure....I have attempted to do this 7 times from different sites to no avail, they all hang....it's a catch 22..
Do you have a good internet connection? A poor internet connection can result in downloads not completing.

I thank you for your response. The current situation is that I cannot download iTunes for Win10. It hangs withing 5 megs of completion resulting in a "network failure" message. I have attempted the download from different sites 7 times to no avail...it appears I am in a catch 22 situation....and thinking that maybe iPhones are just not for me....Apple is
Do you have a good internet connection? A poor internet connection can result in downloads not completing.

I am on Cable One in Idaho....very good service....

I lost track of all the sites, none of which were dangerous according to my McAfee....I finally have it however when connected properly and following procedure iTunes immediately requests the passcode that I don't have....catch 22

I lost track of all the sites, none of which were dangerous according to my McAfee....I finally have it however when connected properly and following procedure iTunes immediately requests the passcode that I don't have....catch 22
As I said in my earlier post, the only way past the passcode issue is to use iTunes to erase and restore your iPhone. Have you done this yet? BTW, you can't restore from a backup as it would have that passcode you can't get past. You'll have to set it up as a new iPhone.

The password for iTunes is not the same as the Pass Code for the phone. Don't forget you are going to have to use recovery mode.

The message from iTunes is that it sees the phone but the passcode lock won't allow it to access the phone....I know that may be hard to understand but that s what t says.....

Are you sure you are putting the phone in recovery mode, as described earlier?

That is where everything stops due to the passcode