What's new

New to these Parts

Arch_l33t

Reaction score
Well I'm new here.. Not an Apple Product owner (yet), but I like to know everything there is to know about something before I buy it. I've owned well over 50 smartphones and devices (Blackberries, Android Devices, WebOS devices, and 1 VZW iPhone 4) and I'm an advanced user on nearly all of them (except iOS) having participated in the homebrew, root/customROM, and hybrid firmware scenes.

I was always for Android. To the point of refusing to ever own an iOS device when my VZW rep gave me an iPhone 4. Owning one gave me quite a new perspective. That was a little over a year ago and now I'm at the point where I'm tired of having to mod my phones to get them to work properly, or to fix bugs, or to get all day battery life. I'm getting exhausted by it. So my next purchase will be an iPhone 4S. I really want a phone that will just work within the context of messaging, email, a decent browser, good gaming and music, and an awesome camera.

Right now, the camera is the biggest draw for me, as I'm a budding photographer. The biggest fear I guess is that the screen downright too small. I'm used to 4.3 to 4.5 screens and consuming content on those is a joy. My girlfriends iPhone looks cramped by comparison. I see all the rumors about the next iPhone having a 'nearly 4 inch' screen and that is definitely much manageable but well that won't be out till fall and I need a phone by the end of next month :p

So what apps are good for photography? Is Any.Do out for iPhone yet? And is there any sign of the next iPhone sporting wifi direct and nfc?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

What factor has come into play that is forcing you to buy a phone in 5 weeks vs being able to wait 5 months for the next iPhone?

What factor has come into play that is forcing you to buy a phone in 5 weeks vs being able to wait 5 months for the next iPhone?

To be honest, impatience. At the moment I'm not locked into contract and trying to breathe life into an EVO 3D. Running a custom ICS-Sense 3.6 ROM and hating every freaking minute of it. I feel like I'll wake up one morning and see that it's just died. My plan would be to buy a 4S unlocked from an Apple store (a 16gb) and run it on Straight Talk, then just sell it and grab the iPhone 5 (in a higher memory to serve the longer term of use I have planned out). I'm really sick of contracts and I don't want to be locked into another :-\

You are talking about buying a $650 phone, reselling it 3 months later for a minimum $250 loss, if not more, and then buying a $750 or $850 phone.

Seems to me you would better off rolling your current phone back to an ASOP Gingerbread ROM, skip customizing it (so you get used to that idea before going to iOS) and waiting.

But that is just the logical part of me thinking out loud ;)

You are talking about buying a $650 phone, reselling it 3 months later for a minimum $250 loss, if not more, and then buying a $750 or $850 phone.

Seems to me you would better off rolling your current phone back to an ASOP Gingerbread ROM, skip customizing it (so you get used to that idea before going to iOS) and waiting.

But that is just the logical part of me thinking out loud ;)

Lol I hear you and I do understand what you mean, but the issues aren't just software related. They're hardware as well. The receiver speaker is blown out, so I can only take calls on speaker (no Bluetooth as I don't prefer them), the 3D camera has a scratch over one of its lenses.. Lol I need to replace it anyways. I need a phone first and foremost, you know? And yes I know that there will be a loss of funds, however that's a calculated sacrifice I think

Well I'm new here.. Not an Apple Product owner (yet), but I like to know everything there is to know about something before I buy it. I've owned well over 50 smartphones and devices (Blackberries, Android Devices, WebOS devices, and 1 VZW iPhone 4) and I'm an advanced user on nearly all of them (except iOS) having participated in the homebrew, root/customROM, and hybrid firmware scenes.

I was always for Android. To the point of refusing to ever own an iOS device when my VZW rep gave me an iPhone 4. Owning one gave me quite a new perspective. That was a little over a year ago and now I'm at the point where I'm tired of having to mod my phones to get them to work properly, or to fix bugs, or to get all day battery life. I'm getting exhausted by it. So my next purchase will be an iPhone 4S. I really want a phone that will just work within the context of messaging, email, a decent browser, good gaming and music, and an awesome camera.

Right now, the camera is the biggest draw for me, as I'm a budding photographer. The biggest fear I guess is that the screen downright too small. I'm used to 4.3 to 4.5 screens and consuming content on those is a joy. My girlfriends iPhone looks cramped by comparison. I see all the rumors about the next iPhone having a 'nearly 4 inch' screen and that is definitely much manageable but well that won't be out till fall and I need a phone by the end of next month :p

So what apps are good for photography? Is Any.Do out for iPhone yet? And is there any sign of the next iPhone sporting wifi direct and nfc?

Hi, welcome to the forum! Here are a few helpful links. cv| iPhone tips | iPhone Tips & Tricks | What is jailbreaking? | Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure? | iPhone Unlocking Guide for Beginners
iPhoneForums.net Mobile App

Forum Rules