What's new

New to the iPhone / Swype

WA6IJD

Reaction score
Hello all...
Just got my first iPhone 4, was a Droid user till last week. I have found most of the apps I used to use over here in the iPhone world. One I haven't found is swype. Could anyone advise on this app? I guess if it's not to be found it doesn't exist. But maybe there's an app with a different name or something that performs the same purpose.

Also, over in the droid world you had utility apps for cleaning, cache removing, etc. Why does the apple world not have these? It's a good thing I guess if there not needed...

So far I like the iPhone 4.

Thanks
Robert in Phoenix,AZ

That's one of the big upsets for android converts. You can't change your keyboard in the iPhone. So no swype or equivalent.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Like you I was looking for Swype too but as I use my phone every day, I notice that I can type so fast on this thing that I don't need it. I was never able to type this fast on any of my droids.

I love Swype as well, but I am actually just about as fast with the iPhone keyboard. It seems to be about the best of the virtual keyboards.

rigormootis said:
Like you I was looking for Swype too but as I use my phone every day, I notice that I can type so fast on this thing that I don't need it. I was never able to type this fast on any of my droids.

I find the keyboard satisfactory for my needs now that you mention it. :)

Thanks for all the input. I'm sure I'll have more ?'s later.

rigormootis said:

I agree I am finding I love this keyboard and am absolutely loving the freaking correct feature and how you can tap on the word and it gives you choices!! Almost like word! Love it

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

does anyone else have a tough time getting to the P button though? I am getting fairly proficient typing, but hjave noticed if I try to go TOO fast, i cannot hit the P and instead of return, I'm constantly hitting the back button...

I am not fast on the iPhone keyboard in spite of the fact I use it every day. I am so hoping Apple will get on board and provide the Swype app for the iPhone. I make so many mistakes it's pathetic, and I type more than 165 wpm on a computer, so it's not that I'm a bad typist!

I am not fast on the iPhone keyboard in spite of the fact I use it every day. I am so hoping Apple will get on board and provide the Swype app for the iPhone. I make so many mistakes it's pathetic, and I type more than 165 wpm on a computer, so it's not that I'm a bad typist!

Won't happen. Apple already tried to buy them and Swype turned their offer down. Apple's policy is to own all rights to core application source code.

Perhaps use it landscape or get a bigger external keyboard such as Bluetooth options, I bought the iPad2 which has a bigger screen so bigger keyboard., allows me to do more work faster with less mistakes.

I would have to say that the keyboard is one of my few gripes about my phone. It is probably that I am new to texting on a virtual board though. My biggest issue is hitting the "back" button instead of the "m". And I find that the word correction is more irritating than helpful, so I turned it off. Hopefully I'll get better with the keyboard with time though. :p

The lack of swype is one of the few things holding me back from moving from Android to iPhone. Not sure I could survive without my swype. Although having an OS that ALWAYS works could overcome the lack of swype in the long run. LOL

The lack of swype is one of the few things holding me back from moving from Android to iPhone. Not sure I could survive without my swype. Although having an OS that ALWAYS works could overcome the lack of swype in the long run. LOL

I switched knowing I would never see swype again. And don't regret it. In fact I don't use Swype on my Droid A855 because I don't want to get back into that habit.

Swype sucks imo. Bogs the phone down as a feature. Oh well.

Sent from The Droid... The one you were looking for...