What's new

New to iPhone & have questions

Blurry

Reaction score
Switching from android to iPhone to get away from Google. I was looking for a used iPhone 6s but daughter-in-law gave me an iPhone 6 that needed the screen replaced. After having the screen replaced and activating the phone there are two things that bother me, (so far) first the volume is very low when talking on phone but they can hear me fine. (volume control doesn't seem to make a difference) They seem muted, in fact volume is about the same even when mute is on. Second thing is the screen does not go off when I move the phone up to my ear so other options get selected. I guess my question is how much of this was caused by the screen replacement?

It's entirely possible that both problems were caused by the screen replacement. Was the screen replaced at an Apple Store or Apple authorised service centre? If so, take the iPhone back and have a diagnostic test done. If they accidentally caused damage when the screen was replace, they should fix the problem at no charge. If you went to an unauthorized service centre, whether or not they'll fix the problem for free may be up to them unless there are consumer protection laws that mandate that they fix a defect that they caused.

You might try this. Sounds odd, but it added quite a bit of volume to my Wife's 5c, and a little to my 5. Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Hearing Aids > Toggle on Hearing Aid Mode.

It's entirely possible that both problems were caused by the screen replacement. Was the screen replaced at an Apple Store or Apple authorised service centre? If so, take the iPhone back and have a diagnostic test done. If they accidentally caused damage when the screen was replace, they should fix the problem at no charge. If you went to an unauthorized service centre, whether or not they'll fix the problem for free may be up to them unless there are consumer protection laws that mandate that they fix a defect that they caused.
No it wasn't an Authorized Service Center, my mistake!

You might try this. Sounds odd, but it added quite a bit of volume to my Wife's 5c, and a little to my 5. Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Hearing Aids > Toggle on Hearing Aid Mode.
Thanks "Ledsteplin" (cool handle), I tried that and made no difference.

Have the Proximity Sensor checked.
Is that something I can check?
I called the guy that did the work and he said it sounded like the mic was misaligned. He would fix it but now he's not returning my calls.

The proximity detector is what turns off the screen when you hold the iPhone up to your face during a call. You can easily test it by holding your hand up to the screen during a call and seeing if the screen turns off.

Proximity detector not working either. Guess I'll be looking for an Apple authorized repair shop, lesson learned!
Thanks all for the input!

Proximity detector not working either. Guess I'll be looking for an Apple authorized repair shop, lesson learned!
Thanks all for the input!
There is a possibility that the Apple Authorised repair shop will not look at your iPhone because it was worked on by a non-certified technician. In that case you'll have to find a reliable independent repair shop.

There is a possibility that the Apple Authorised repair shop will not look at your iPhone because it was worked on by a non-certified technician. In that case you'll have to find a reliable independent repair shop.
Great, that's what messed me up in the first place!