What's new

New Rumour Says Next iPhone is Due Fall 2012 and Will Have Same Size Screen

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
4449-tomtom-update.JPG

Following on from the most recent iPhone rumour that said that it would have a super large 4.6-inch Android-phone-sized Retina display, iMore reports today on a totally contrasting rumour, saying that it has heard from its sources that Apple will be keeping the current screen size of 3.5 inches for the next iPhone. iMore says that it has also heard from the same sources that the next iPhone will be 4G LTE-compatible, and that it will be released sometime this Fall, possibly October. iMore says that it believes that Apple will stick to this Fall release schedule for some time to come, now that it has made the break from the previous Spring schedule. iMore also refers back to one of its previous exclusives that said that Apple intends to fit new “micro dock” connectors to its devices, including the forthcoming iPhone, with a view to freeing up more room inside the phone for other new components.

Source: New iPhone (iPhone 5,1) coming fall 2012 with LTE, similar sized screen | iMore

Maura said:
Following on from the most recent iPhone rumour that said that it would have a super large 4.6-inch Android-phone-sized Retina display, iMore reports today on a totally contrasting rumour, saying that it has heard from its sources that Apple will be keeping the current screen size of 3.5 inches for the next iPhone. iMore says that it has also heard from the same sources that the next iPhone will be 4G LTE-compatible, and that it will be released sometime this Fall, possibly October. iMore says that it believes that Apple will stick to this Fall release schedule for some time to come, now that it has made the break from the previous Spring schedule. iMore also refers back to one of its previous exclusives that said that Apple intends to fit new “micro dock” connectors to its devices, including the forthcoming iPhone, with a view to freeing up more room inside the phone for other new components.

Source: New iPhone (iPhone 5,1) coming fall 2012 with LTE, similar sized screen | iMore

If this is true it will kill the iPhone. 3.5 is simply too small of a screen. The new Samsung is over 5 inches (which is too big for a phone in my opinion.) i love my iPhone but If this is true I know I will NOT be upgrading from the iPhone 4. People will only wait so long for a larger screen before switching over to the dark side. I know 2 people who made the switch to android today for this very reason.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

I wonder if vzw will offer a free hotspot like the new iPad?

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

It might come out as early as June, Apple has a WWDC event scheduled for June 11 to the 15th. We will see what they are planing to do soon i hope.

I'm just glad they are intoducing an iPhone with 4g. Pumped, thanks for the info.

The 4G would definitely be nice, but I'll be honest. If they keep the screen size the same with only a jump to 4G and maybe tweak the processor, then I won't be upgrading my 4S. No real reason.

People care too much about screen size.. the iPhone isn't big at all.. but its still superb. iPhone and Apple have so much going for it internally and how it's all setup and how solid it is.. I don't care that much about screen size.. I mean, really.

Android can go as big as they want.. doesn't mean they're as quick, has better gadgets, accessories, and less problems.

I have the 4 and plan to upgrade to the new one.... If it has 4g lte and a larger screen. If not then I can't see it having anything else I'd want.

Now that I've got an iPad screen size would not be a major issue for me. It would be nice to see a larger screen though, but nothing humongous like the Samsung.

Sent from my White iPad 3rd Gen. 32gb using Tapatalk

Man, I am so relieved to hear that the big screen is not set in stone. If they went to a 4.6" screen I would NOT upgrade to the new iPhone.

The main reason is because my phone also serves as my MP3 player. I want one device to take with me to the gym, out walking, on the trail for a run, not two. The iphone is already at the large end of what you can comfortably strap to your arm.

Anybody who goes to the gym knows that this is fact. You see a ton of ipods and iphones strapped to peoples arms. You rarely see any large Android phones on anyone. They are just too big.

i want a bigger screen or i won't be getting rid of my 4s,i had the Samsung galaxy s and loved the big screen,4" would be nice.

I too am glad to hear the new iPhone isn't gonna have a 4 1/2 inch screen. Way too big IMO. However I wouldn't mind if it was a little bigger. Just a little.

When most of us say a larger screen, we aren't talking about something as large as 4.6" or anything that large. I would say the consensus agree that a 4" would be perfect. Still a completely pocketable size while adding just enough clarity to the screen to be a nice jump. Like some others said, if the 4G and slight processor jump are the only changes, I'll keep with the 4S. I know not everyone wants huge, but if they stay with 3.5", it may start to take a toll on their sales.

jkhonea said:
When most of us say a larger screen, we aren't talking about something as large as 4.6" or anything that large. I would say the consensus agree that a 4" would be perfect. Still a completely pocketable size while adding just enough clarity to the screen to be a nice jump. Like some others said, if the 4G and slight processor jump are the only changes, I'll keep with the 4S. I know not everyone wants huge, but if they stay with 3.5", it may start to take a toll on their sales.

Not enough to make any sort of difference.

If this is true it will kill the iPhone. 3.5 is simply too small of a screen. The new Samsung is over 5 inches (which is too big for a phone in my opinion.) i love my iPhone but If this is true I know I will NOT be upgrading from the iPhone 4. People will only wait so long for a larger screen before switching over to the dark side. I know 2 people who made the switch to android today for this very reason.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

The iphone will still sell whether it be 3.5 or 4 inches.

Yeah I think 4.6 is ridiculous and knew that was not right, no way apple would go that route. But I was hoping for 4inches, with that screen resolution 4inches would have went along way. Its bigger than the standard 3.5 (which is played out to be honest) but still small enough that people can carry in their pockets. I think the cut off is around 4 to maybe 4.5 (unless you do like samsung did with the galaxy nexus). I do not like the samsung galaxy note, that too me is just too big. By the way its a relief to be at a place where I can name off apple and android products and a riot hasnt broken out and the mods were not called in to police the place. Not to name other places but we have android forums where if you say the word apple people go nuts.