What's new

New member intro and a problem with iTunes 11

Bigpiper246

Reaction score
Hi
I just joined to try to solve a problem.
I to technical support and testing for a small, private software developer in Seattle. I'm mostly a Windows guy but I have a MacBook and 2 MacBook pros. We are working on and OS X version of our industrial design surface modeling application.

My wife and I have both had iPod Touches for several years but hung on to our old T-Mobile "grandpa" phones because they were so inexpensive.
Within the last month, I bought a couple used iPhone 4s and set up mon to month service with Consumer Cellular. sor far my experience with CC has been great. Highly recommended. Great prices and no contract for users that don't live their lives on the mobile phones.

The problem:
I use one of the MacBook Pros (Lion 10.8.2) to backup and sync the iPhones and iPod Touches. No problems, works great. On Friday night, I updated iTunes to 11.0 (163). Since then one of the iPhones connects to iTunes as it should. The other does not. It does show up in iPhoto like a camera but not in iTunes so I'm sorta stuck for backups and syncing.
I tried the suggestions I could find in the Apple Community forum, and posted a message but there have been no suggestions. I've rebooted the iPhone and the computer but the problem persists. Any ideas?

Thank you for this resource. I'll stick around and help out whenever i can. We have several user community based forums for our own software. These forums have proven to be a very valuable resource for both users and developers.

Thanks!

John Brock
Seattle

I guess I'm down to doing a factory reset on the iPhone 4 and trying to set it up again.
I was hoping to avoid that because of the frustration is causes my wife, and by extension, me.
Part of the deal I guess...

Revised post. I discovered later this is not true. - JB

[Good news!
I think the mystery may be solved and I did not have to reset the iPhone.
The solution was to login to the App Store using the Apple ID used on the iPhone BEFORE plugging it in.
This is a big change in iTunes 11 so user beware.

If like me, you maintain multiple iOS devices with different Apple IDs on a single shared iTunes, you now have to be logged in using that ID before connecting the iOS device. I never ha to do that with prior versions of iTunes. My assumption is this is an intentional change coming from Apple. That said, I do not understand what problem they are solving with this change, but it's good to know now that they have apparently changed it.]

John Brock
Seattle

Last edited:
I'm wrong. I went back and tried to repeat it and I'm back to no connect at all with this second iPhone 4.
I'm beginning to think it has a damaged data port.
I'll try a factory reset and reconfigure when my wife is in a better mood...

Oh yes, and several times.
I just verified that iTunes 11 will connect to my iPhone even if I'm logged into the App store with the other Apple ID. so it's like previous versions in that respect.
I just modified my earlier post to discredit it.
My two iPod Touches also connect just fine. The problem has to be in the other iPhone itself.

EVen iPhoto has quit now. I'm convinced the 30-pin connector port is shot. I'll see about replacing that and the Home button while I'm at it. A bad port is the only thing that makes any sense.

Yup. I'm using the same cable, computer, and USB port. Another iPhone 4 and 2 other iPod Touches work fine.
I just took the iPhone 4 over to a local repair shop for a new data port and home button. It should be done about 3 and I'll go get it. I'm pretty confident this will solve it.
I'll report back.

I just picked up the repaired iPhone 4. If has a new data port and Home button. It connected to iTunes and backed up/synced right off. Problem solved.