What's new

New Iphone - switching sim card?

Yoshiboshi3

Reaction score
Okay.

I've got a 16 gig Iphone 4 that I've been using with Verizon for a while, and we just switched to AT&T. However, the phone they gave me is only 8 gig, and I don't want to loose all my stuff.

My question is, can I take the sim card of the new phone and put it in my old one? I know I would have to unlock the old phone, but there are ways to do that with jailbreak apps, like on Cydia, right?

Yes....and no...but then again...yes...

For your particular situation....no...not possible.

A CDMA iPhone cannot be used on a GSM network.

Your old verizon iPhone will never be able to run on any GSM carrier...such as AT&T.

You still don't have to lose any data.

"anything" toggled on in Settings> iCloud will be restored to the phone as soon as your iCloud account is enabled.

You could also restore your AT&T iPhone from the Verizon's backup. Tho I wouldn't do that if all you have is backups that were takin from the device while it was jailbroken.

Use iCloud to backup contacts, notes, bookmarks, etc.

You will have problems restoring Contacts back if Contacts is toggled on in other email accounts when you add them. Just make sure you toggle contacts and bookmarks off when add an email account. That way iCloud is the only account that is backing them up.

You could also...well..check Craigslist or similar sites to see if anyone wants to trade a 16GB CDMA iPhone with a 16GB GSM iPhone. That is if you simply want to use the old phone just because of the hardware storage.