What's new

New iPhone Owner....Mobile Hot Spot Question

craigtaz

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

iPhone newbie here...just bought the new iPhone 4S from Verizon this morning. I gladly gave up my 1st gen Motorola Droid.

I spoke with a Verizon rep. over the phone last week and asked him if I could use the 4S as a mobile hot spot for my iPad and laptop. He told me yes. Today while purchasing the iPhone (after standing in line), a different rep. told me that I would have to change my data plan and pay extra to use the 4S as a mobile hot spot. I currently have an unlimited data plan, which Verizon no longer offers. If I change data plans, I lose the unlimited data feature, so I declined the change.

This really upsets me. I was able to tether my Droid to my laptop via an app, and it worked great. Is there any way to use the 4S as a mobile hot spot without changing my plan?

Thanks!

Craig

danielgfreeman

Reaction score
I believe you can still wifi tether if you jailbreak. I'm sure there are some knowledgable members here

iCrank

Reaction score
The only way to do it is jailbreaking. Although I don't even believe the 4s can be jailbroken at this time. If you happen to find out if you can jailbreak it. Install tetherme from Cydia ($4.99)

cgwaters

Reaction score
Not sure with the iPhone, but with my Droid Incredible I can add and remove Wifi hotspot accessibility at will by checking/unchecking the option for my account on VZW's web site. Of course, there's a surcharge; however, it's prorated based on the number of days used. I used this feature extensively while on vacation a few months ago. I have the unlimited data plan; adding the Wifi hotspot option did not affect that.

OP
C

craigtaz

Reaction score
cgwaters said:
Not sure with the iPhone, but with my Droid Incredible I can add and remove Wifi hotspot accessibility at will by checking/unchecking the option for my account on VZW's web site. Of course, there's a surcharge; however, it's prorated based on the number of days used. I used this feature extensively while on vacation a few months ago. I have the unlimited data plan; adding the Wifi hotspot option did not affect that.

Thanks, I finally found that out from a more informed Verizon rep., but they told me it wasn't pro-rated, I'd have to pay for a full month at a time. But if in fact it is pro-rated as you say, then that is even better.

I also found out that you can start/stop the mobile hot spot service via the "My Verizon" mobile app. Seems to work very smoothly.

Craig

VTR

Reaction score
Gidday and welcome to the forum!!!! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts