What's new

New iPhone 5s won't recognise Outlook Password after iCloud data transfer from previous 4s

tonyysue

Reaction score
As a preamble, I did as was suggested on joining this Forum and searched/read through all relevant forums, but could find nothing for this thread.
I recently bought a Company unlocked 5s and went through the process of backing up my 4s to iCloud and then doing a restore on the 5s from iCloud. Everything went as expected, except that on being asked to enter my Hotmail/Outlook account, when I did so it didn't recognise the password ( I keep notes of all passwords etc on on encrypted data bank). I tried it again, but again with no joy. My Outlook password which I use to access my Outlook account on several Windows devices and my 4s is 8 characters long, yet when I go into my 4s Settings/Mail/Outlook/Account and check the (hidden) password length shown on that device it has 16 characters! For the record, I can access my Outlook account on the 5s via Google using the 8 character password, but this is very clumsy and doesn't notify me when I have new mail.

My questions are: Is it possible to have different Passwords for the same account on different (Mac/Windows) platforms?
Is there anyway to unhide the 16 characters of the Outlook password on the 4s?
If I delete the Outlook account on the 5s, how do I go about re establishing it?

Fairly simple language please as Im fairly Numpty!
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to iPhone Forums, tonyysue!

There's no way to show the password of the account in your iPhone settings. The password for your Outlook account should also be the same on all your devices, that's why I'm wondering why it's different on your 4s.
Did you set up two step verification for the account? You'd need an app specific password, in that case. It's possible that this is why your 4s shows a different password length.

Thank you for that. I don't think I set up 2 stage verification as its not a process I'm familiar with - additionally had I done so, I would have noted the additional password in my data bank!

Passwords for two step verification are unique. If you set up Outlook on a new device, or remove the account and add it again, you'll have to generate a new password. So saving a password for the iPhone Mail app would be redundant.