What's new

New iPhone 5 Images Appear Showing Edge-to-Edge Screen

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone_5_image.JPG

MacRumors has posted new pictures today, which were published by iDealsChina, which the Chinese website is claiming are illustrations of the new iPhone 5. The main difference we can see is that the screen is bigger, and hugs the edge of the phone. This would appear to support the recent bezel photos that appeared on the same web site. iDealsChina says that this drawing, and other drawings that it has obtained, are “mold engineering” drawings for the iPhone 5, used by case makers to base their designs on. As iDealsChina points out, if these images are accurate, they would appear to discount other recent rumours of the next iPhone having a curved back, as these latest pictures show that the phone’s back and general body shape is almost exactly the same as that of the iPhone 4.

As MacRumors notes, many of the pictures coming out of China and Japan of iPad 2 cases turned out to be accurate (although not all of course), so it’s worth taking into account what these sites are saying now about the iPhone 5, as there could be some very good clues in there.

Source: iPhone 5 Design Images with Larger Edge-to-Edge Screen? - Mac Rumors

From what i've read, though, rumor has it that Apple isn't planning on increasing the screen size; simply because they do not want to force devs to support yet another resolution, and a lower DPI would mean they could no longer market it as a "Retina Display". What we MIGHT be looking at is a device with the same screen size, but smaller overall dimensions. After all, if you eliminate part of the bezel the screen will appear larger in renderings (this looks like a 3D rendering and not a photo).

I also do not believe it to be a photograph of a real device simply because I can't see Apple throwing a black home button into a white device. I truly believe if it comes in white, it will be ALL white; the black version will be ALL black.

I guess in the end, only time will tell though. It's alot of fun to speculate.

I do see problems with certain cases like the Otterbox Defender with a device like this, the way that case is designed part of the silicone outside would overlap the screen on an edge to edge design.

From what i've read, though, rumor has it that Apple isn't planning on increasing the screen size; simply because they do not want to force devs to support yet another resolution, and a lower DPI would mean they could no longer market it as a "Retina Display". What we MIGHT be looking at is a device with the same screen size, but smaller overall dimensions. After all, if you eliminate part of the bezel the screen will appear larger in renderings (this looks like a 3D rendering and not a photo).

I also do not believe it to be a photograph of a real device simply because I can't see Apple throwing a black home button into a white device. I truly believe if it comes in white, it will be ALL white; the black version will be ALL black.

I guess in the end, only time will tell though. It's alot of fun to speculate.

I do see problems with certain cases like the Otterbox Defender with a device like this, the way that case is designed part of the silicone outside would overlap the screen on an edge to edge design.
For pixel density they could add more pixels so it comes out at the same DPI but with a bigger screen.....

I don't think apple will change the screen either but with the way that screen is, with the black all the way to the edge, I think it suits the black home button..

Android Dev's have to deal with tons of different screen resolutions, yet they find a way. I doubt it would be that hard for Apple Dev's to support two screens.

I'm not that familiar with the retina display, but doesn't that just refer to the quality, and not the resolution?

For pixel density they could add more pixels so it comes out at the same DPI but with a bigger screen.....

Like I said, they don't WANT to add pixels, that would require supporting yet another screen resoultion. Would make life harder on the devs, and app size for "universal" apps would increase as yet another set of textures would have to exist.

I don't think apple will change the screen either but with the way that screen is, with the black all the way to the edge, I think it suits the black home button..

its actually a CAD drawing. they use CAD to design the body. this picture does not reflect the final product.

As MacRumors notes, many of the pictures coming out of China and Japan of iPad 2 cases turned out to be accurate (although not all of course), so it’s worth taking into account what these sites are saying now about the iPhone 5, as there could be some very good clues in there.

also do not believe it to be a photograph of a real device simply because I can't see Apple throwing a black home button into a white device. I truly believe if it comes in white, it will be ALL white; the black version will be ALL black.

Exactly. Black button on white screen is butt ugly.

Oh!! this is really great with stunning color, latest features and the reliability of iphone. I am feeling really proud after having this model.

hello Mark and welcome to the site! please make sure you read the rules before posting.. http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-4-12/forum-rules-please-read-3028/

there are lots of rumours that turn out to be true but some things are a given and any one can guess that apple will add X feature or hardware or change a certain thing about the iphone

Apple can increase the screen size to 3.7" (edge to edge) and still use the same 960 x 640 pixel layout. The PPI (Pixels Per Inch) would drop from 326 to just below 310. Apple was smart and said "Retina Displays" are devices with a 300 PPI or greater. This would require zero changes to any application, iOS or firmware drivers for the screen.