What's new

New iPhone 4s shipped with iOS 6; is it possible for me to downgrade to 5.1.1?

bsmxxx

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been using a jailbroken iPhone 4 for about a year and a half. I'm currently on version 5.0.1 and I use redsn0w to jailbreak. Recently I decided to pick up a 4S since I wanted something a little fresher but I never buy the first iteration of an Apple product so no 5 for me just yet. I stupidly assumed it would ship with some version of iOS 5 which I later learned was wrong. I again stupidly assumed that a jailbreak for iOS 6 on a 4S already exists but as I'm sure all of you know, there isn't. I don't think I can bear using a stock phone with no jailbreak.

Is there something I can do to an out of the box 4S running iOS 6 to downgrade it to iOS 5 and jailbreak from there?

Thanks for reading!

willerz2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. You cannot downgrade the 4S from iOS 6 to iOS 5 once the signing window closed during the release of iOS 6.0 GM unfortunately.

OP
B

bsmxxx

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. That's what all my research said; I just thought I may have been missing something.

Is there any hope for a 4S iOS 6 jailbreak at all, at this point? I read that it will either be released when a jailbreak for the 5 on iOS 6 is released, but then I read it would never happen at all. I'm just trying to decide if I should even keep this phone or not!

Thomasjtsi

Reaction score
bsmxxx said:
Thanks for your response. That's what all my research said; I just thought I may have been missing something.

Is there any hope for a 4S iOS 6 jailbreak at all, at this point? I read that it will either be released when a jailbreak for the 5 on iOS 6 is released, but then I read it would never happen at all. I'm just trying to decide if I should even keep this phone or not!

An iOS 6 JB for the 4S & 5 will be released together. The Dev-Team has it working... but requires a developer account for certain exploits. I'd say we'll see something January 2013.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is always hope that a jail break will be found for iOS 6 ... and that it includes the 4S. We have "heard" that work is being done for a jail break for all iDevices. However, we never know how long it may take to achieve a publicly releasable jail break.

So, all you can do is decide how long you are willing to wait. Then, if your decision is to keep the 4S and wait - keep an eye on this forum. I guarantee you - when a jail break is found and released, it'll be announced here.

Marilyn