What's new

new i5 owner

rcs9250

Reaction score
I just got an i5 today. I only have a 250mb plan so not a lot of data time. Plan to utilize wifi most of the time. My question, when I'm at home and my wifi is active, how do I know if I'm on wifi or data from cell ?

Randy

In the top left of the screen you'll see either a set of wifi bars or "LTE" to let you know which type of connection you have. I have found that I stay on wifi most of the time and it's a bit faster than my LTE connection.

I would also recommend viewing the following:
1. Settings > General > Cellular and setting up the options on that page
2. Settings > Notifications page as well
3. Settings > iTunes & App Stores > Use Cellular Data.

It's a wonderful phone and I am still amazed at what it can do. Welcome to the wonderful world of iOS :)

Last edited:
And, to add: if you are on WiFi, you will see a fan-like icon. Even if you see the 3G, 4G or LTE icon - if the WiFi fan is showing, you are on WiFi (it overrides the cellular signal).

Marilyn

G'day and welcome to the Forum!!!!! :) :) :)

As the iPhone auto switches from wifi back to 3g when in sleep mode to save battery its advised to turn off mobile/cellular data and 3g toggles.

I just got an i5 today. I only have a 250mb plan so not a lot of data time. Plan to utilize wifi most of the time. My question, when I'm at home and my wifi is active, how do I know if I'm on wifi or data from cell ?

Randy

Hi, welcome to the forum! Here are a few helpful links. cv| iPhone tips | iPhone Tips & Tricks | What is jailbreaking? | | iPhone Unlocking

Guide for Beginners |iPhoneForums.net Mobile App

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure

iPhone tips

iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

remember…."search" is your friend…..poisonivy…..iPhone and iPad forums moderator

At home when I'm on my wifi. I have been turning off cellular data on settings. From what your saying. I don't need to do this because the wifi overrides?

Also if I leave wifi turned on and cellular turned on away from my wifi. When I'm near an open wifi will it ask me to connect to the wifi? I would assume this uses more battery power to keep wifi running all the time. I only have 2gig's of shared data on my plan so I try to hit all the wifi's that I can. Or is there a better way to approach this?

Thanks

Looks like all open wifi networks are given the same name SSID. Once the phone connects to that name it will connect automatically the next time. Without asking permission. So bad idea to let it do it's thing without permission. At least with 3G.
[h=3]Protecting Access to Your iPhone 3G[/h]
iPhone 3G does not seem to support prompting you for every new connection regardless of profile status. The best remedy to keep your promiscuous phone protected from network attacks is to turn off Wi-Fi on the iPhone when not using it.

Last edited:
At home when I'm on my wifi. I have been turning off cellular data on settings. From what your saying. I don't need to do this because the wifi overrides?

Also if I leave wifi turned on and cellular turned on away from my wifi. When I'm near an open wifi will it ask me to connect to the wifi? I would assume this uses more battery power to keep wifi running all the time. I only have 2gig's of shared data on my plan so I try to hit all the wifi's that I can. Or is there a better way to approach this?

Thanks

Looks like all open wifi networks are given the same name SSID. Once the phone connects to that name it will connect automatically the next time. Without asking permission. So bad idea to let it do it's thing without permission. At least with 3G.
[h=3]Protecting Access to Your iPhone 3G[/h]
iPhone 3G does not seem to support prompting you for every new connection regardless of profile status. The best remedy to keep your promiscuous phone protected from network attacks is to turn off Wi-Fi on the iPhone when not using it.

Correct, WiFi overrides cellular data connections. I leave both on at all times and WiFi connects when I'm in the area of a known and accepted WiFi network. My iPhone 5 battery lasts me two days per charge, so I don't think it uses much power to keep both on all the time.

You can go to Settings > Wi-Fi and set it to ask you to join any WiFi network that it finds, see the last setting labeled "Ask to Join Networks".

My practice is to only join WiFi networks that I trust, never on networks like Starbucks.. but that's just me.

ardchoille Bet I looked at that setting 20 times and did not see the option to Ask To Join. Weird thanks for pointing that out.

Is there anyway to protect yourself if your on a network like Starbucks? Or even Hotel wifi's that have a password to access. With my laptop I subscribe to WiTopia which is a VPN from my laptop to some point on there network. I feel this protects my laptop. Must be some way to encrypt data on your iPhone?

ardchoille Bet I looked at that setting 20 times and did not see the option to Ask To Join. Weird thanks for pointing that out.

Is there anyway to protect yourself if your on a network like Starbucks? Or even Hotel wifi's that have a password to access. With my laptop I subscribe to WiTopia which is a VPN from my laptop to some point on there network. I feel this protects my laptop. Must be some way to encrypt data on your iPhone?

Don't feel bad, I overlooked it a dozen times myself until someone from these forums pointed it out. Glad that worked for you. Hopefully one of our security gurus can chime in about your WiFi security question, I'd like to know about that myself.

You do the same protection on the iPhone as you do with the laptop - use a VPN service. The first thing I'd do is get with WiTopia (or check their website) and see if you can add the iPhone to their service.

The phone has built-in VPN support, you just have to provide the parameters.

Marilyn

Hi, I am a new member. I have never used iphone or cellphone before. Now I plan to buy an unlocked iphone 5s from Apple with T-M service. Since I won't go web much (too small screen for me), a low data plan (50 MB 4G and no speed down after) will be my choice. Now I know I can (and iphone will) use wifi at home for all data transfer to avoid/save cellular usage. So two questions:
1. If I put iphone to sleep at night, from this thread I know that wifi will be turned off and cell will be on, how do I make sure there is no any data transfer? Do I have to turn off any app or functions to avoid any "auto" data transfer?
2. When I am away from home wifi, can I turn off cell to prevent data transfer, but still be able to talk (make/receive call)? If no, how do I make sure there is no data transfer unless I myself make data transfer ? Again, how do I change what settings to achieve this?

Thanks for help.

Hi, I am a new member. I have never used iphone or cellphone before. Now I plan to buy an unlocked iphone 5s from Apple with T-M service. Since I won't go web much (too small screen for me), a low data plan (50 MB 4G and no speed down after) will be my choice. Now I know I can (and iphone will) use wifi at home for all data transfer to avoid/save cellular usage. So two questions:
1. If I put iphone to sleep at night, from this thread I know that wifi will be turned off and cell will be on, how do I make sure there is no any data transfer? Do I have to turn off any app or functions to avoid any "auto" data transfer?
2. When I am away from home wifi, can I turn off cell to prevent data transfer, but still be able to talk (make/receive call)? If no, how do I make sure there is no data transfer unless I myself make data transfer ? Again, how do I change what settings to achieve this?

Thanks for help.

For (1), the best thing to do is to plug the phone in to a power source. That way, it will stay connected to WiFi, even while asleep and so won't be on the cellular network.

For #2, go to the General tab in your Settings app and press on the line titled "Cellular." If you turn it to "off," you can restrict all data to WiFi (including e-mail, web browsing and push notifications). You'll still get phone calls, however

Hope that clarifies, a bit.

Marilyn

For (1), the best thing to do is to plug the phone in to a power source. That way, it will stay connected to WiFi, even while asleep and so won't be on the cellular network.

For #2, go to the General tab in your Settings app and press on the line titled "Cellular." If you turn it to "off," you can restrict all data to WiFi (including e-mail, web browsing and push notifications). You'll still get phone calls, however

Hope that clarifies, a bit.

Marilyn
Thanks, Marilyn.

"plug phone in to a power source" -- does that mean to charge phone's battery?

"You'll still get phone calls" -- can I make calls? or just receive calls?

Yes, you'll be charging the phone and yes, you can make calls as well as receive them when cellular data is turned off.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Marilyn