What's new

New here, need a little help...

reeseman

Reaction score
Hello Forum, I have an iphone 3gs that is jailbroken and unlocked and its running version...wait for it... 3.1.2, I KNOW, im WAAAAY behind but thats my problem. I just switched to straight talk and i am using it on my iphone with the sim card provided by straight talk so my question is, can i upgrade my iphone to a newer firmware now and not have to worry about it "locking up" or do i still have to worry about the fact thats its unlocked and jailbroken and should just pay somebody to upgrade it for me?

reeseman said:
Hello Forum, I have an iphone 3gs that is jailbroken and unlocked and its running version...wait for it... 3.1.2, I KNOW, im WAAAAY behind but thats my problem. I just switched to straight talk and i am using it on my iphone with the sim card provided by straight talk so my question is, can i upgrade my iphone to a newer firmware now and not have to worry about it "locking up" or do i still have to worry about the fact thats its unlocked and jailbroken and should just pay somebody to upgrade it for me?

Hi reeseman... since you're on iOS 3.1.2 you're on the 05.11.07 Baseband. This Baseband is what your phone relies on to be Unlocked. With that, and your phone being Jailbroke... you're using a package from Cydia called "ultrasn0w." Your answer is Yes, you can Update your 3GS via redsn0w using a custom IPSW and the option to preserve your Baseband. However, I'm not certain in ultrasn0w supports the latest iOS version, 5.1, yet.

I know that's a lot to absorb... but let's let a few more people chime in.

thanks Thomasjtsi for the reply. I dont really need the latest 5.0 firmware i just need something newer than 4.0 because EVERYTHING in the app store i try to download requires it now. I can probly do this myself, im just so afraid of screwing my phone up and because of my situation i cant go an hour without my phone much less a day or two if i screw it up and have to get someone to fix it...IF it can even be fixed after i messed with it

thanks Thomasjtsi for the reply. I dont really need the latest 5.0 firmware i just need something newer than 4.0 because EVERYTHING in the app store i try to download requires it now. I can probly do this myself, im just so afraid of screwing my phone up and because of my situation i cant go an hour without my phone much less a day or two if i screw it up and have to get someone to fix it...IF it can even be fixed after i messed with it

Unfortunately you do not have that option, once Apple stops signing a firmware, you cannot restore that firmware anymore unless you have saved the SHSH blobs for the firmware you wish to restore to while that firmware was being signed.

As Thomasjtsi said, you will need to update your phone to 5.1 now, be sure to restore a custom firmware made with either Redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze so as to preserve your baseband. AFAIK 5.1 is 100% compatible with ultrasn0w provided you are on a compatible baseband.

Also, please note that if you have a new bootrom 3Gs, the jailbreak is tethered for the time being.